TechSpot

Intel Rapid Storage Technology a question..

By Larsenex
Jul 2, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. So, I built my system using this SSD caching. It works really well. My hard drive is 1 terrabyte and my Cache drive is a 60 gig ssd. Lately, while playing Star Wars the Old repubic, I have been 'freezing' in game. This freezing completely locks the computer. I run Teamspeak and I can still push to talk and my friends can still talk and I can talk to them via this during the 'freeze'. What is odd is Cnt/alt/delete, will not bring up the control panel to allow me to kill the game. I am just stuck.

Normally I would say this is a Video driver issue. I did cleanly reinstall the latest Nvidia driver and this will still occur sometimes.

Now, when I disable RST, I never get the problem. I can play and play and play. When I reactivate RST to 'maximized', I can still play but its like a timer. After about 2 or 3 days the Freeze will happen.

So my RST question is, {has the driver been updated since 2012} (when I built my computer) and is it possible to update this driver now without having to re-install Windows and all my programs?

If I am left with having to re-install I am likely to just fork over the money and just buy a 300 gig SSD and keep Windows and 1 or 2 of my favorite games on it and use the Terrabyte drive for Music/videos and storage.

2. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,473   +622

3. Larsenex

Larsenex TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 49

So there are the drivers, my question is, do I have to REINSTALL all over again to get updated to the latest RST driver?

4. Frozwire

Frozwire TS Member Posts: 62

You don't need to reinstall Windows just install the latest updated IRST drivers needed.

5. Larsenex

Larsenex TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 49

Froz, thank you. I just wanted to be sure. I know when you initially USE RST you have to do it as part of the Install of Windows creating a raid settup. I downloaded the .exe of the lastest RST drivers from the link provided above. (Thank you!).
    I am prepared to start over anyway. I just dont want to install the (updated) driver and then get a blue screen...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.