TechSpot

Intel, Samsung, Toshiba together aim for 10nm chips by 2016

By Emil
Oct 29, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Intel, Samsung, and Toshiba are joining forces and pooling R&D efforts to build 10 nanometer semiconductor chips by 2016, according to Reuters. The three have joined a consortium to work towards the goal. The Japanese Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry is expected to provide 50 percent for the initiative, which equates to 5 billion yen ($62.12 million or €44.69 million). The rest is expected to come from the members of the consortium.

Read the whole story

2. cardriverx

cardriverx TS Rookie Posts: 84

Reasonable SSD prices cannot get here soon enough!

3. customcarvin

customcarvin TS Enthusiast Posts: 103   +8

I wonder, at what fab size these component traces will reach an equilibrium? I mean, at some point they're going to get so small that they wont be able to be mass produced consistently enough to conduct electricity.

4. ---agissi---

---agissi--- TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,384   +15

Minor typo on the word Samsung in the 2nd paragraph.
    2016 is a ways off but this is exciting and a good step ahead non the less!
    @customcarvin - Thats right they keep stepping down the voltages so that the electricity doesnt jump between 2 bits/addresses. It'd be cool to be on the engineering side of this to better understand limitations and what the future may hold instead.

5. CyberChrist

CyberChrist TS Rookie

How low can you go? Amirite!

6. Storagebox

Storagebox TS Rookie Posts: 17

10nm thats like really small, i though it wasnt possible cause that small atom begin to touch each other or something like that

7. Jibberish18

Jibberish18 TS Maniac Posts: 431   +8

They keep pushing "Moore's Law" but being that small, how are they going to deal with Errors?

8. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 958   +49

With smaller versions of the magic and unicorns they use already. :p

9. frodough

frodough TS Rookie Posts: 90

i cant wait till something like microITX motherboard or picoITX (maybe this already exists) but good to know hardware are advancing steadily.

10. sMILEY4ever

sMILEY4ever TS Enthusiast Posts: 156

Talk about heaps of money for research..
    Anyways, 10nm is..f ing tiny.

11. Elitassj4

Elitassj4 TS Rookie Posts: 24

The three kings(Three Wise Men) from the east,coming together,bringing R&D gifts to the SSD child.....lowl.Can''t wait to see what this trio can achieve.

12. dawgtothebone

dawgtothebone TS Rookie

Yeah this problem is being addressed by many people

Take a look at this.

http://www.ted.com/talks/kwabena_boahen_on_a_computer_that_works_like_the_brain.html

I wonder what the size of the transistor is in samsungs 20nm NANDs.Probably something in the pico's.

13. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,095   +43

We should just make smaller machines to make smaller machines to make even smaller machines.. then it would be a piece of cake... right? lmao

14. kazarm

kazarm TS Rookie Posts: 29

Nice to see moores law is still working

15. akannitaoheed

akannitaoheed TS Rookie Posts: 99

Getting them smaller makes them all the more portable though, stability of these stuffs, reliability and shelf life matters just as much if not more. let them also put durability into consideration because we are still the ones to buy these stuffs on the long run . Good value for our bucks isn't negotiable.

16. peteyhawkins

peteyhawkins TS Rookie Posts: 19

Brilliant news all round, 10nm not only brings even more effiecient cpus, gpus and motherboard chips but I see the HUGE advantage in making larger capacity SSD's... 512gb... more like 512Tb by the time this tech comes about.

17. killamoves

killamoves TS Rookie Posts: 18

So what happens after they get down to 1nm.

18. rizalp

rizalp TS Rookie Posts: 39

It will be the start of the new era. The pico era. pm

19. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,716

I actually lol'd

20. It was 120nm back then (199x?), now 32nm is already in mass production, but how much has the motherboard of a computer shrank? As far as I can remember, the PC desktop casing has grown much larger than those boxes that I used to have back in 199x. Yeah I know we should be talking about mobile and embedded devices, but shouldn't be the motherboard of a standard PC follow the same pace?

21. klepto12

klepto12 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,364   +9

This is amazing in and of itself with all these great minds working together well have cheap SSD drives in no time :) plus much cooler and more efficient CPU's.

22. alexandrionel

alexandrionel TS Rookie Posts: 94

This is incredible news! But I don't think this target is real. I would say that in 2016 they will announce that they have managed maybe and in one or two years more they wil start mass production.
    So, we will have great SSD drives in 2018. Yupee... :(

23. hitech0101

hitech0101 TS Enthusiast Posts: 429   +19

Hope they can come out with these chips before 2016.

24. Uvindu

Uvindu TS Enthusiast Posts: 153

I wonder how small these things will get. They will have to create a word to represent something even smaller than nano in a few years. This news is great. I hope they can come up with something better than the current 32nm before 2016. Keeping my finger crossed...

25. Puiu

Puiu TS Maniac Posts: 1,076   +100

Hopefully they can make it happen sooner. I want my cheap SSD's! (who doesn't?)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.