Intel, Samsung, Toshiba together aim for 10nm chips by 2016

Emil

Staff

Intel, Samsung, and Toshiba are joining forces and pooling R&D efforts to build 10 nanometer semiconductor chips by 2016, according to Reuters. The three have joined a consortium to work towards the goal. The Japanese Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry is expected to provide 50 percent for the initiative, which equates to 5 billion yen ($62.12 million or €44.69 million). The rest is expected to come from the members of the consortium.

Intel is the world's largest chipmaker, while Samsung and Toshiba are the world's first and second makers of NAND-type memory, respectively. In other words, these are the three musketeers of chip land. Ten more companies, operating in semiconductor materials and related fields, are expected to be invited once the initial details get worked out.

Earlier this month, Samsung announced the industry's first production of a 3-bit-cell, 64 gigabit NAND flash using a 20nm process technology. With these hardware giants working together, we'll be watching that number continue to drop over the next few years.

Permalink to story.

I wonder, at what fab size these component traces will reach an equilibrium? I mean, at some point they're going to get so small that they wont be able to be mass produced consistently enough to conduct electricity.

Minor typo on the word Samsung in the 2nd paragraph.
2016 is a ways off but this is exciting and a good step ahead non the less!
@customcarvin - Thats right they keep stepping down the voltages so that the electricity doesnt jump between 2 bits/addresses. It'd be cool to be on the engineering side of this to better understand limitations and what the future may hold instead.

10nm thats like really small, i though it wasnt possible cause that small atom begin to touch each other or something like that

They keep pushing "Moore's Law" but being that small, how are they going to deal with Errors?

Jibberish18 said:
They keep pushing "Moore's Law" but being that small, how are they going to deal with Errors?
With smaller versions of the magic and unicorns they use already. :p

i cant wait till something like microITX motherboard or picoITX (maybe this already exists) but good to know hardware are advancing steadily.

The three kings(Three Wise Men) from the east,coming together,bringing R&D gifts to the SSD child.....lowl.Can''t wait to see what this trio can achieve.

We should just make smaller machines to make smaller machines to make even smaller machines.. then it would be a piece of cake... right? lmao

Getting them smaller makes them all the more portable though, stability of these stuffs, reliability and shelf life matters just as much if not more. let them also put durability into consideration because we are still the ones to buy these stuffs on the long run . Good value for our bucks isn't negotiable.

Brilliant news all round, 10nm not only brings even more effiecient cpus, gpus and motherboard chips but I see the HUGE advantage in making larger capacity SSD's... 512gb... more like 512Tb by the time this tech comes about.

It was 120nm back then (199x?), now 32nm is already in mass production, but how much has the motherboard of a computer shrank? As far as I can remember, the PC desktop casing has grown much larger than those boxes that I used to have back in 199x. Yeah I know we should be talking about mobile and embedded devices, but shouldn't be the motherboard of a standard PC follow the same pace?

This is amazing in and of itself with all these great minds working together well have cheap SSD drives in no time :) plus much cooler and more efficient CPU's.

This is incredible news! But I don't think this target is real. I would say that in 2016 they will announce that they have managed maybe and in one or two years more they wil start mass production.
So, we will have great SSD drives in 2018. Yupee... :(

I wonder how small these things will get. They will have to create a word to represent something even smaller than nano in a few years. This news is great. I hope they can come up with something better than the current 32nm before 2016. Keeping my finger crossed...

Back