TechSpot

Intel says Haswell will improve battery life by 50 percent

By Shawn Knight
May 24, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Intel’s next generation processor is just around the corner and in an effort to build some additional hype ahead of launch, the chip maker has revealed some interesting facts about Haswell. During a recent media briefing, architecture group VP Rani...

Read more

2. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Now we are talking.

3. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,290   +239

So, looking at how power consumption in a typical laptop occurs, to get a 50% battery life improvement, the processor and chipset would have to run at well over 75% less power than previous models, wouldn't it? System idles and sleep modes have nothing to do with the big power consumers in mobile hardware (like screens), so I have to wonder if they are being creative with their assertions.

50% better battery life when in sleep or standby, I could believe. 50% better power efficiency in the processor itself, sure. How it breaks down into battery life improvement under typical usage conditions, that will be quite interesting.

Arris likes this.
  4. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Evangelist Posts: 814   +93

Watch them be half the frequency. Back to 850mhz... but efficient!

5. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,622   +376

Well if they drop clocks when you aren't using the juice, can't complain about that particularly if it is resulting in massive power consumption decreases.

6. veLa

veLa TS Evangelist Posts: 708   +168

For some reason I seriously doubt it.

7. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Yeah, I think a more realistic number is 30%, especially when factoring in program usage/habits.

8. Ultraman1966

Ultraman1966 TS Enthusiast Posts: 86   +8

Without a frame of reference that 50% figure is meaningless.

9. windmill007

windmill007 TS Rookie Posts: 308

That's about all they do besides help onboard graphics. I will be using my sandy bridge for a long time it seems.

10. Railman

Railman TS Booster Posts: 708   +101

Not forgetting the premium that is charged for i3 i5 and i7 CPUs! Intel and MS want their pound of flesh.

11. GhostRyder

GhostRyder This guy again... Posts: 2,191   +590

That sounds great, improving mobile battery life needs to be a primary focus!!!