Intel says Raptor Lake includes 6 GHz CPU stock, expected to set 8 GHz overclocking world...

midian182

Staff member
Highly anticipated: Intel has been teasing its upcoming 13th-gen Raptor Lake CPUs with a couple of enticing announcements. It claims the processors will be the first to operate at 6 GHz at stock, and that they have already set a "world overclocking record" of 8 GHz.

Team blue gave us a peek at Raptor Lake during the Intel Tech Tour 2022 in Israel. One slide showed that Intel is looking to beat rival AMD in terms of clock speeds with Raptor Lake. We know that the Ryzen 9 7950X is clocked up to 5.7 GHz, but Intel says its next chips can beat that by 300 MHz with a 6 GHz model.

Intel never said which Raptor Lake SKU would have the 6 GHz stock speed or when it would arrive. While it could be the flagship Core i9-13900K, which recent leaks suggest will perform similarly to the Ryzen 9 7950X, that particular 24-core (8P + 16E) CPU is said to hit 5.8 GHz, suggesting the 6 GHz frequency might be reserved for a KS model like the Core i9-12900KS.

The slide also claims that Raptor Lake has already been overclocked up to 8 GHz using liquid nitrogen. Intel says this is an OC world record, though that probably comes with some caveats as 8.7 GHz is the overall world record.

Intel also said that Raptor Lake offers a 15% uplift for single-threaded workloads and 41% for multi-threaded work.

Like Alder Lake, Raptor Lake combines Performance (P) and Efficiency (E) cores. While the E cores are based on the same Gracemont cores as Alder Lake, the P cores are now Raptor Cove as opposed to the last generation's Golden Cove.

In addition to the higher frequencies, Raptor Lake is expected to offer twice the amount of E-cores and more L2 and L3 cache compared to Alder Lake, while the more advanced memory controllers will bring official support for DDR5-5600 (as opposed to Alder Lake's DDR5-4800) and DDR4-3200 memory.

Intel will be hoping the Raptor Lake CPUs can help it regain some of the consumer confidence it is losing through the Arc Alchemist GPU launch—the company recently had to deny it was shutting the division down, the second time it's had to issue such a statement. But with so much hype surrounding Zen 4, Chipzilla is going to have a fight on its hands in the next-gen-processor market.

Intel is set to announce the Raptor Lake CPUs at the Innovation event on September 27. The processors are expected to launch in October.

Intel slide credit: Andreas Schilling/HardwareLuxx

Permalink to story.

Since AMD announced Zen4, Intel PR started to use quite big words, and claiming amazing performance on paper, for a processor which is launching 1 month after the competition, if it will be able to keep it's own promises. Better wait for real tests after release and enjoy the fierce competition :)

As much as it saddens me, for competition sake, Arc seems to be pretty much dead. The desperate denials only make the case stronger. As for Cpus, a high frequency doesn't mean shait. I remember AMD's cpus a while back, I think it was Bulldozer, world record frequency and trash as anything else.

As much as it saddens me, for competition sake, Arc seems to be pretty much dead. The desperate denials only make the case stronger. As for Cpus, a high frequency doesn't mean shait. I remember AMD's cpus a while back, I think it was Bulldozer, world record frequency and trash as anything else.
If Intel quit after making a crappy product we never would have had the Core2Duo or Core2Quad which felt like came out of no where after Pentium 4. It left AMD scrambling with products like "4x4" that I lovingly remember being called AMD AWD by critics. Arc might be on the back burner but I doubt it's gone. If they could have gotten some cards out before the crypto crash we might be having a very different conversation.

However, I see the future of Arc being on SOCs and not so much dedicated graphics.

6Ghz, I wonder how gigantic the power usage and temperatures will be...

Not JUST power .. but were about to get into temporary clocks being claimed as ''peak clock''..

IE with a bundled OEM intel cooler it might hit 6hz on a single core.. for maybe 30 seconds then down clock for thermals. But the marketing teams on BOTH sides of the intel amd vendors are going to slap the ''highest attainable'' clocks on the box ... not average compute clocks.

Now all the review sites ~ahem TECHSPOT~ will need to build benchmarks that run 4 thread high compute jobs for 5 minutes ,, then record average clock speeds like SSDs after cache exhaustion ..

🤣 How much more BS will Intel resort to in order to sell their product? What good is a world record overclock to the average enthusiast especially since they are unlikely to implement the LN cooling required to achieve it?

Personally, I don't GAF about a world-record overclock.

Karma is a b1tch. Intel is now feeling the pain that AMD experienced when Intel released Core 2.

🤣 How much more BS will Intel resort to in order to sell their product? What good is a world record overclock to the average enthusiast especially since they are unlikely to implement the LN cooling required to achieve it?

Personally, I don't GAF about a world-record overclock.

Karma is a b1tch. Intel is now feeling the pain that AMD experienced when Intel released Core 2.
This is the same nonsense Intel was claiming when they tried to make a big deal out of their CPU being 2% faster than AMD in gaming, so they slapped something like "world's fastest gaming CPU" on it.

I think they should clarify that stock does not mean base. Instead its super duper unlikely how power high temp 1 time hit rate
This is starting to get to the point of being like the "nm" wars. Intel and AMD both advertising 7nm, 5nm, 4nm, etc. products when in fact these numbers are meaningless. The transistors in these processors are NOT 5nm.

Just like when the Phenom II X4 940 and FX-8350 broke the world overclocking records back in the day, the clock speed is irrelevant when compared to real-world performance.

Sad to see that Intel's smarts revolve around brain-dead brute force, just like Nvidia. It was inevitable they would go for broke on clocks and power draw be damned just to get bragging rights. Disgusting attitude in a world facing massive energy issues and climate meltdown.

New video cards, ddr5, new cpus coming from both red and blue. Looks like a good time for upgrading a 5 yo PC.
And then I remembered about inflation :'(

My big question is it a single core clock, big core, little core, or all cores clock? Could even be some sort of strange combination of cores for all I know. I'd rather see what a third party reviewer can actually achieve than take the the word, marketing word for that matter, of an OEM. Any of them, I mean it's their job to move units so they're always going to put the best spin on things they can. It's only to be expected...

Back