TechSpot

Intel ships 25nm NAND flash memory chips

By Matthew
May 18, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Intel announced today that it has begun shipping its 25nm NAND flash memory to manufacturers. The new chips were sampled earlier this year and will supplant Intel's less efficient 34nm parts, which can be found in products such as the second-generation X25-M solid-state drives. Intel's 25nm chips can hold up to 8GB of data or about 7,000 photos, 2,000 songs, or eight hours of video.

Read the whole story
  2. Eddie_42

Eddie_42 TS Rookie Posts: 213

Thats pretty intense. Amazing how far tech has come in just a few years. I was so excited to buy a 1GB thumb drive when they were new, i even coughed up $50+ for it. Now you can have 8GB on a drive smaller then a finger nail.

Much like I laugh at my parents for thinking 8MB was a lot of computer power, Im sure my kid will laugh at me for being excited for a 8gb drive.
  3. 25nm is getting pretty tiny apparantly they can only go so small so eventually the memory gain for the size of the chip will one day slow down.
  4. SilverCider

SilverCider TS Rookie Posts: 72

25 nm is getting very close to the limit. 25nm is roughly 250 times the diameter of a hydrogen atom, that sounds like a fair bit of room left, but we dont use hydrogen for memory chips do we ;)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.