Intel Solid State Drive 510 Series 120GB Review

Julio Franco

Staff member
The OCZ Vertex 3 240GB blew us away when we reviewed it earlier this month. Its lighting fast transfer speeds and application performance left no room for the competition to breathe -- including the once-praised Samsung 470 Series and Crucial RealSSD C300 drives. The Vertex 3 proved to be dramatically faster than its predecessor, and perhaps just as important, that speed comes at nearly the same cost.

Read the full review at:
https://www.techspot.com/review/387-intel-510-ssd/

Please leave your feedback here.

Thanks for the review. What I'd really like to see is a review comparing all the 120-128GB drives....i.e. Intel vs OZC Vertex2 vs OZC Vertex 3 vs Crucial C300, Corsair, etc.

Interestingly.. this review only loads 4gb ram to make the difference between SSD and HD seem much more dramatic on load times.... if you spend $150 on 16gb ram... load times for CS5 on a 2600k get down below 1 second because of superfetch... SSD is obviously a lot slower than ram... don't believe the hype

Right now the Intel 510 120GB is actually less expensive than the Vertex 3 120GB. So the price and performance seem to fall in line (Source: Newegg).

Intel $2.25/GB
OCZ $2.50/GB

Interestingly.. this review only loads 4gb ram to make the difference between SSD and HD seem much more dramatic on load times.... if you spend $150 on 16gb ram... load times for CS5 on a 2600k get down below 1 second because of superfetch... SSD is obviously a lot slower than ram... don't believe the hype

Actually you spotted a typo, it was a 2 x 4GB configuration for 8GB of RAM. That said your comment is very wrong by basically saying that 16GB of RAM will solve HDD latency. The fact that SSD's have a 0ms access time and hard drives have about 9ms access time is what it is all about.

Right now the Intel 510 120GB is actually less expensive than the Vertex 3 120GB. So the price and performance seem to fall in line (Source: Newegg).

Intel $2.25/GB
OCZ $2.50/GB

So did you copy and paste that directly from our conclusion? :S

Right on Steve, period...

Anyways, Intel's 500 series are good worthy successors but, the mainstream is just too busy drooling for the great V3 ;)

Techspot nice review!
I really like the real world tests, gives a better view on the performance :)
I hope to see the 120GB Vertex 3 and the 128GB M4 added aswell :D
That would really help my buying decision ^^
Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the review. What I'd really like to see is a review comparing all the 120-128GB drives....i.e. Intel vs OZC Vertex2 vs OZC Vertex 3 vs Crucial C300, Corsair, etc.

Absolutely agreed. Such a review would be highly appreciated, as I think drives in that capacity range tend to have a good blend of storage space and are priced at a level that many find acceptable.

Back