TechSpot

Intel Solid State Drive 510 Series 120GB Review

By Julio Franco
Apr 29, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. The OCZ Vertex 3 240GB blew us away when we reviewed it earlier this month. Its lighting fast transfer speeds and application performance left no room for the competition to breathe -- including the once-praised Samsung 470 Series and Crucial RealSSD C300 drives. The Vertex 3 proved to be dramatically faster than its predecessor, and perhaps just as important, that speed comes at nearly the same cost.

Read the full review at:
    http://www.techspot.com/review/387-intel-510-ssd/

Please leave your feedback here.

2. Thanks for the review. What I'd really like to see is a review comparing all the 120-128GB drives....i.e. Intel vs OZC Vertex2 vs OZC Vertex 3 vs Crucial C300, Corsair, etc.

3. Interestingly.. this review only loads 4gb ram to make the difference between SSD and HD seem much more dramatic on load times.... if you spend $150 on 16gb ram... load times for CS5 on a 2600k get down below 1 second because of superfetch... SSD is obviously a lot slower than ram... don't believe the hype

4. Right now the Intel 510 120GB is actually less expensive than the Vertex 3 120GB. So the price and performance seem to fall in line (Source: Newegg).

Intel $2.25/GB
    OCZ $2.50/GB

5. Steve

Steve TechSpot Staff Posts: 1,393   +483 Staff Member

Actually you spotted a typo, it was a 2 x 4GB configuration for 8GB of RAM. That said your comment is very wrong by basically saying that 16GB of RAM will solve HDD latency. The fact that SSD's have a 0ms access time and hard drives have about 9ms access time is what it is all about.

So did you copy and paste that directly from our conclusion? :S

6. SneekyGeaky

SneekyGeaky TS Rookie

Right on Steve, period...

Anyways, Intel's 500 series are good worthy successors but, the mainstream is just too busy drooling for the great V3 ;)

7. Techspot nice review!
    I really like the real world tests, gives a better view on the performance :)
    I hope to see the 120GB Vertex 3 and the 128GB M4 added aswell :D
    That would really help my buying decision ^^
    Keep up the good work!

8. Absolutely agreed. Such a review would be highly appreciated, as I think drives in that capacity range tend to have a good blend of storage space and are priced at a level that many find acceptable.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.