Intel to launch Haswell just days before Computex on June 2

Shawn Knight

Staff member

We all know that Haswell is the successor to current generation Ivy Bridge CPUs but up to this point, we haven’t had a date to circle on our calendar for its arrival. That’s all changing now according to a new report from DigiTimes which says we can expect to see Intel’s revamped architecture arrive on June 2 – just two days before Computex kicks off in Taipei, Taiwan.

Sources say that the Core i7-4770K, i7-4770, i7-4770S, i7-4770T, i7-4765T, i5-4670K, i5-4670, i5-4670S, i5-4670T, i5-4570, i5-4570S, i5-4570T, i5-4430 and the i5-4430S will all be released during the second quarter of 2013. The chip maker is further expected to launch the Core i3 Haswell and Ivy Bridge-E processors during the third quarter followed by Pentium and Celeron chips after that.

As you may already know, Haswell will require a brand new socket, LGA1150. Chips will ship with Intel HD Graphics 4600 and a new memory controller that is able to hit speeds of up to 1,600MHz. The platform will also use a new chipset known as Lynx Point which includes up to 14 USB 2.0 ports, six USB 3.0 / SATA 6Gbps ports and eight PCIe 2.0 lanes.

Jumping back to Computex, sources say that related products like motherboards, notebooks and maybe even tablets will likely be on display during the show. Along with motherboards, we have little doubt that third party cooling makers will have heatsinks and water cooling kits ready for the new socket as well.

Permalink to story.

By time I've saved enough for a whole new rig, Haswell will be out.

i5-4670K sounds like my kinda ****.

Only PCIe 2.0? Would it really have broken the bank for them to use 3.0 as standard now? It's not like it's only just come out.

"and eight PCIe 2.0 lanes." This is where they lost me, at least you could put PCIe 3.0, or 16 lanes of 2.0. It's concerning considering the X58 chipset had 40 lanes and that came out over 4 years ago now. Glad to see six USB 3.0 and Sata 6Gbps ports, but its strange no PCIe 3.0.

I'd care but the new socket requirement and lack of PCIe 3.0 puts me off. Intel's updates are so small it's clear they're playing it slow and soaking up the cash since AMD can't challenge.

Only PCIe 2.0? Would it really have broken the bank for them to use 3.0 as standard now? It's not like it's only just come out.

The platform will also use a new chipset known as Lynx Point which includes up to 14 USB 2.0 ports, six USB 3.0 / SATA 6Gbps ports and eight PCIe 2.0 lanes.

Learn to ****ing read ! Chipset, not CPU, u can choose whatever mobo u want with support for PCI-E 3.0 or 2.0!

I still have a Sandy Bridge 2500k, not really sure if it's worth the upgrade yet. Plus I'll have to replace my motherboard & possibly memory.

I still have a Sandy Bridge 2500k, not really sure if it's worth the upgrade yet. Plus I'll have to replace my motherboard & possibly memory.
yea your cpu should be good for a couple of years still. I have been thinking of upgrading my i7 920 to haswell but I will w8 and see about the dreaded temperature flaw that plagued ivy bridge (something to do with soldering)

Is it me or is CPU tech all but irrelevant any more? Seems like the platform upgrades are more compelling than the processor. I have a 2600K and the 3770K wasn't much faster, looking like the 4770K is only going to be a modest speed bump over that. The only real benefits that I would gain from upgrading is PCIe 3.0, a little faster RAM, and some other mainly chipset/connectivity centric improvements.

I guess the prices will drop for 3rd generation processors... then I'll buy that one...anyways its around 10% jump from 3rd to4th generation...:cool:

Back