TechSpot

Intel to launch Haswell just days before Computex on June 2

By Shawn Knight
Jan 22, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. We all know that Haswell is the successor to current generation Ivy Bridge CPUs but up to this point, we haven’t had a date to circle on our calendar for its arrival. That’s all changing now according to a new...

Read more

2. PC nerd

PC nerd TS Booster Posts: 328   +38

By time I've saved enough for a whole new rig, Haswell will be out.

i5-4670K sounds like my kinda ****.

3. Only PCIe 2.0? Would it really have broken the bank for them to use 3.0 as standard now? It's not like it's only just come out.

4. likedamaster

likedamaster TS Member Posts: 83   +12

Agreed. Wtf? It's not like it isn't backward compatible. Geez Louise.

5. Littleczr

Littleczr TS Booster Posts: 411   +79

i7-4770K = 4 cores 8 total threads? Good, my i7 970 still looks solid.

6. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 957   +116

"and eight PCIe 2.0 lanes." This is where they lost me, at least you could put PCIe 3.0, or 16 lanes of 2.0. It's concerning considering the X58 chipset had 40 lanes and that came out over 4 years ago now. Glad to see six USB 3.0 and Sata 6Gbps ports, but its strange no PCIe 3.0.

7. veLa

veLa TS Booster Posts: 533   +88

I'd care but the new socket requirement and lack of PCIe 3.0 puts me off. Intel's updates are so small it's clear they're playing it slow and soaking up the cash since AMD can't challenge.

8. Holyscrap

Holyscrap TS Rookie Posts: 39   +12

The CPU has its own PCI-E lanes which are version 3.0
    the 8x v2.0 are from the chipset

9. Zeromus

Zeromus TS Enthusiast Posts: 231   +7

Thank you, I knew that was the case because that was simply the chipset specs.

10. havok585

havok585 TS Enthusiast Posts: 108   +19

The platform will also use a new chipset known as Lynx Point which includes up to 14 USB 2.0 ports, six USB 3.0 / SATA 6Gbps ports and eight PCIe 2.0 lanes.

Learn to ****ing read ! Chipset, not CPU, u can choose whatever mobo u want with support for PCI-E 3.0 or 2.0!

11. Chazz

Chazz TS Maniac Posts: 640   +60

Holyscrap has already answered the complaints guys. Chill

12. Teko03

Teko03 TS Enthusiast Posts: 128   +30

I still have a Sandy Bridge 2500k, not really sure if it's worth the upgrade yet. Plus I'll have to replace my motherboard & possibly memory.

13. Holyscrap

Holyscrap TS Rookie Posts: 39   +12

yea your cpu should be good for a couple of years still. I have been thinking of upgrading my i7 920 to haswell but I will w8 and see about the dreaded temperature flaw that plagued ivy bridge (something to do with soldering)

14. MrBungle

MrBungle TS Booster Posts: 151   +64

Is it me or is CPU tech all but irrelevant any more? Seems like the platform upgrades are more compelling than the processor. I have a 2600K and the 3770K wasn't much faster, looking like the 4770K is only going to be a modest speed bump over that. The only real benefits that I would gain from upgrading is PCIe 3.0, a little faster RAM, and some other mainly chipset/connectivity centric improvements.

15. I guess the prices will drop for 3rd generation processors... then I'll buy that one...anyways its around 10% jump from 3rd to4th generation...:cool:

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.