Intel to launch speedy 510 series SSDs on March 1?

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Folks looking to treat themselves to a new SSD may want delay the upgrade for a couple of weeks. VR-Zone reports that Intel plans to launch its new 510 series SSDs less than two weeks from now on March 1. Codenamed "Elm Crest," the drives will mark Intel's first to utilize the latest SATA III (6Gb/s) interface, which we've seen on competing products such as Crucial's RealSSD C300.

The 510 series will use the same 34nm NAND MLC flash chips as the second-gen X-25M and will debut in two capacities: 120GB and 250GB. Both will use the familiar 2.5-inch x 9mm form factor. According to VR-Zone, the 120GB model is supposedly priced at about $280 while the 250GB is $580, but at least one online retailer in the UK has listed them at £227 (~$366) and £475 (~$767).

With nearly double the read speed of Intel's second-gen X-25M, it goes without saying that the new drives are aimed at performance buffs. The 510 series touts peak read and write rates of 470MB/s and 315MB/s, though it's unclear if those speeds are limited to the largest capacity model. By comparison, the quickest X25-M G2 has read and write rates of 250MB/s and 100MB/s.

Permalink to story.

I was hoping for 25nm flash, right until OCZ released theirs. Now I'm quite content with intel sticking with 34nm. I haven't even gotten to an SSD yet, Probably time to grab one.

But $280 for 120gb. That's over $2 per GB. My cheapness is holding me back!

Princeton said:
I was hoping for 25nm flash, right until OCZ released theirs. Now I'm quite content with intel sticking with 34nm. I haven't even gotten to an SSD yet, Probably time to grab one.

But $280 for 120gb. That's over $2 per GB. I would love if SSD makers could get prices to around $1.80 per GB.

I hear you on both accounts. Only, 120gb seems a little small for a drive that will have to last some time, and not willing to shell out ~$600. Sigh. Guess I'll have to wait some more...

Princeton said:

But $280 for 120gb. That's over $2 per GB. My cheapness is holding me back!

I hear ya, I alllllmost bought a 90gb ocz vertex 2 last week from one of neweggs.com "shell shockers" for $140 ( after rebates ), I added it to mycart, went to check out....then my cheapness came in to save the day. Dang it!!!!!!

It's not so much cheapness and pessimism that's holding me back. SSDs are really still in their infancy and growing fast. Every other day we're seeing faster and faster products on the market, and I'm not entirely convinced of the long term usage of an SSD yet. Personally, I'll be holding back either until speeds start to plateau or until I need to do a full rig rebuild before upgrading to SSDs.

Lurker101 said:
It's not so much cheapness and pessimism that's holding me back. SSDs are really still in their infancy and growing fast. Every other day we're seeing faster and faster products on the market, and I'm not entirely convinced of the long term usage of an SSD yet. Personally, I'll be holding back either until speeds start to plateau or until I need to do a full rig rebuild before upgrading to SSDs.

Buy 32gb of ram. Make super ram drive. Laugh at SSD users.

When they find a way to allow ram to permanently store the OS instead of moving it to the HDD when the pc is shut off I'll totally buy up a bunch of ram for a speedy ram drive.

Wasn't there an article about the development of such a device on here a few months back, set to replace both RAM and CPUs?

I agree with Princeton about making RAM drives. SSDs are still way too expensive. All we need are motheboards with 4 or more DIMM slots and for memory manufacturers to start producing affordable 8-GB DIMMs. As for storing the OS in RAM, I recall reading about a hybrid Seagate 500-gig notebook HDD which has 4 gigs of embedded memory, if I'm not mistaken. If they could increase the amount of memory so that it could accomodate the OS and a few key applications without a drastic price increase, I think it would be worth buying.

Work several hours over-time to buy an SSD that will ultimately save me a few minutes of my life.

hm ...

Princeton said:

When they find a way to allow ram to permanently store the OS instead of moving it to the HDD when the pc is shut off I'll totally buy up a bunch of ram for a speedy ram drive.
Yep you've still got to load the ram up from disk first... 32GB is still too little as well. A while yet till ram drives are worth it.

<quote>Princeton said:

When they find a way to allow ram to permanently store the OS instead of moving it to the HDD when the pc is shut off I'll totally buy up a bunch of ram for a speedy ram drive.</quote>

This is not very smart... kinda stupid actually...
RAM cost per gigabyte is much higher than SSD cost per gigabyte.

Just as noted by someone here, these drives can actually be around $2 per GB. Guess how much RAMs are?

HDD cost per gigabyte is of course very cheap, like lower than 10cents per GB.

To those holding out on SSDs, don't think of them as conventional harddrives where you store your stuff. Think of them as boot drives and a drive to quickly launch your programs. It is another part of your system and would coexist with your Terabyte HDDs.

Guest said:
<quote>Princeton said:

When they find a way to allow ram to permanently store the OS instead of moving it to the HDD when the pc is shut off I'll totally buy up a bunch of ram for a speedy ram drive.</quote>

This is not very smart... kinda stupid actually...
RAM cost per gigabyte is much higher than SSD cost per gigabyte.

Just as noted by someone here, these drives can actually be around $2 per GB. Guess how much RAMs are?

HDD cost per gigabyte is of course very cheap, like lower than 10cents per GB.

To those holding out on SSDs, don't think of them as conventional harddrives where you store your stuff. Think of them as boot drives and a drive to quickly launch your programs. It is another part of your system and would coexist with your Terabyte HDDs.

You realize it was a joke right? Ram prices are like $10 per GB. It was implying that if you could get your hands on that much ram you could laugh at SSD users with your 1GBps+ speeds.

I'm assuming that you two were referring to Princeton's estimate of $10.00 USD per GB of RAM. Here it is... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231396 It's crap generic DDR-3 RAM @1333 Mhz CL-9 to be sure but, it's actually only $9.99 per GB.

Since an argument would ensue should anyone actually recommend its purchase, I'll demure from that.

As to inhabitants of the UK, (you know who you are), I'd suggest dropping the VAT, which is after all, only supporting your ceremonial monarchy. At which point, your prices would probably align themselves with what is available in the US

captaincranky said:
As to inhabitants of the UK, (you know who you are), I'd suggest dropping the VAT, which is after all, only supporting your ceremonial monarchy. At which point, your prices would probably align themselves with what is available in the US

You say that like we have a choice. The %20 VAT is crippling the economy and everybody knows it, but it's another way for the government to pry money from our hands. VAT was initially introduced to help pay for a war against France and should've been rescinded once the war was over. Now we're sharing our military with France and paying more VAT than ever before. It's an absolute disgrace.

Princeton said:
Buy 32gb of ram. Make super ram drive. Laugh at SSD users..

I suppose such tech isn't ready for prime time yet, but we're on the cusp of this... "memristors", phase change memory etc... promise to make this reality and if you believe the headlines, only a couple of years away from consumer consumption.

At the moment though, a RAM drive on volatile memory is impractical for most uses... which is unfortunate.

Back