Intel updates CPU line with 3.33GHz Core i7 975

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Several months have passed since Intel launched its latest and greatest architecture to date, Nehalem, in the form of three Core i7 processors clocked at up to 3.2GHz. Performance was outstanding but, as usual with enthusiast hardware, prices were high. Although these same chips introduced in November remain atop of performance charts everywhere, and many are clamoring for mainstream Nehalem variants, Intel is making a move to secure additional bragging rights instead with even higher end options.

As expected, the company is officially raising the performance bar with the 3.33GHz Core i7 975 Extreme and the 3.06GHz Core i7 950 while slowly removing another pair. Specifically, the chips are meant to replace the 965 and 940 respectively, and should sell at similar $999 and $560 price points. Both of these chips also use a new D0 stepping that will reportedly offer lower power consumption and hence improved overclockability over the original i7s. You can read some reviews over at AnandTech and PC Perspective.

Permalink to story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back