TechSpot

Interesting gallery waves...

1. I wonder if this is intended? IE9 gets a bit less waving but happens there too.

gallery_waves.png

2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,552   +301

3. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,540   +320

@Mic, not intended. But believe me, theming that gallery is hell! We went from scratch on the move and for now I think it looks rather decent. I will try to fix the wavy entries soon though.

@SNGX, lol. I didn't even know that existed. Possibly an addition on the latest version of Photopost. Something if for sure, PP devs believe your Opera browser is only good for mobile :D

4. Marnomancer

Marnomancer TS Booster Posts: 808   +51

Surprising as it is, I'm not seeing any of the 'waves' Mic mentioned.
    Capture.JPG

Is it just me, or the issue is fixed? I mean, I noticed the waves neither on the old board nor on XF, when I uploaded my first pic (a few days ago).

5. bobcat

bobcat TechSpot Paladin Posts: 688   +67

No need to post another image, I just confirm that on my XP I don't get the wavy pattern either with Opera, or with Firefox, or with IE8. I leave the conclusions as to the possible cause to you.

6. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,552   +301

Did some testing :

Opera 11.61 in Win 7 gallery loads/looks fine.
    Opera 11.62 in Win 7 gallery looks/loads fine.
    Opera 11.62 in OS X 10.7.3 gallery loads mobile.
    Opera 12.00 build 1387 in OS X 10.7.3 gallery loads mobile.
    Opera 12.00 build 1387 in OS X 10.7.3 if told to identify as Firefox for Techspot, gallery loads/looks fine.

So definitely something with Opera on OS X being treated as mobile. I'm sure it happens all the time, but this is the first instance where I've seen an OS specific issue with a site using Opera.

7. mario

mario Ex-TS Developer Posts: 399   +17

I don't think we should even enable the mobile version of the gallery.

8. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,930   +126 Staff Member

Actually I beg to differ, I just visited it via SNGX link above and I really like it!
    I've always hated the Gallery to be perfectly honest, it's so fragmented and difficult to navigate.

To me the mobile version looks great on a desktop system!
    To each his own I guess :)

9. mario

mario Ex-TS Developer Posts: 399   +17

Good to know, I haven't tested the mobile version.

I'm not a fan of the desktop version either. And yeah I hate it too :)

Per Hansson likes this.
  10. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,540   +320

We all hate it then :)

I'm looking forward to the moment when someone comes up with their own gallery software for Xenforo that also imports PhotoPost data. Considering how "bad" the gallery software is, it's impressive the sheer amount of sites that rely on it, including us, probably because it goes way back with its vBulletin integration.

Per Hansson likes this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.