TechSpot

Intermitent BSOD during internet video playback or avi playback (Win7 Pro 64)

By Death to BSOD
Oct 21, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. I built a PC in August and it runs very fast and plays games, videos and audio without issue. However, I have been getting occasional BSODs during youtube playback or when playing a video from my hard drive, even if i played the same video moments earlier without issue. I have updated all drivers windows updates, memtest to check ram but nothing seems to explain my PCs sudden desire to BSOD me.

I would be very very grateful if someone would have a look at some min-dumps for me and see if they can identify the issue as i have reached the limit of my computer diagnostic knowledge.

Attached Files:

2. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,171   +37

How many Passes did you allow for Memtest? I read your five most recent dumps and the were all of the same error as described below...

Your error is 0x124: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR and is described as "A fatal hardware error has occurred."

This error code and definition has replaced the older XP code 0x9C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION and though it is older the definition still is applicable: This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution. Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).

Honestly, this is a very difficult error to work with because as it says a clear diagnosis rarely comes forth and I have never seen a minidump with either error codes give a definitive answer. I know IT techs that don't like working with it. What makes it so difficult is that it can be any hardware in your system -- and I mean any. Your dumps simply cited hardware as the issue and nothing more definitive.

Here are some of the causes that were determined to be the source of 0x124/0x9C errors from posters here and abroad: NIC, DVD/CD drives, dust build up around the CPU that caused overheating of said CPU, bulging capacitors hidden by heatsink, corrupted memory, video card, psu, motherboard, and external harddrive connected by USB.

* Anything overclocked? If so set your hardware to factory specs.

3. Death to BSOD

Death to BSOD TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thank you for your reply. My system spec is as follows:

i5-2500K
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
    GA-Z68XP-UD3
    120GB SSD Corsair Force Series 3
    Seagate 1TB Barracuda SATA-III 6Gb/s
    Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz
    Sapphire 6950 HD 800MHz 2GB x2
    Samsung BD-Combo
    Xenta 800W 80plus PSU 13.5cm Fan

My current overclocking settings for the CPU are:
    CPU ratio (x44)
    Clock control 100.5
    Memory multiplier 16
    Load Line (7 out of 10)
    CPU Vcore 1.3v
    QPI/Vtt 1.12v
    System agent 1.135v
    Dram Voltage 1.65v

Could my overclocking settings be off in some way?

4. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,171   +37

First, very nice system. I am jealous! :D

As per the definition I gave overclocking is a main culprit in these errors. Again, set your hardware back to factory specs and let us know if doing so brings stability.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.