Intermittent BSOD and None Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all

I have two problems with my XP Pro PC.

1) An intermittent BSOD, that only ever shows up on a cold boot, almost as soon as the Windows XP logo appears. Tech info reads (on last occurence, not sure if it's always the same):

Code:
0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x00000000, 0xF7936FC0, 0xF7936CBC)
2) Again, intermittently, and again, on cold boot, when I turn on the power nothing appears on screen, not even the initial graphics card or BIOS info.

In both cases, a reset fixes the problem and Windows boots normally. Once up and running, the PC behaves normally. I can re-start Windows as much as I like with no problems.

Because it only happens now and then, I'm not tearing my hair out yet, but I am at a point where I'd like it sorted. My initial thought is the power supply. Anyone have any other ideas?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

It does sound like a psu issue to me.

What psu do you have? We need the Brand/wattage/how many amps does it deliver on the 12 volt rail. You can find this info on the psu label.

Take a look at this PSU wattage calculator.

Your full system specs would also help.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Thanks for replying, Howard.

My PSU is a Super Flower Real 520W PSU. Here it is, from the place I bought it, just over two years ago now. It delivers 520W over the +12A rail. Here's all the info from the PSU:

Code:
LOAD   MIN   MAX
+3.3V  0.3A  35A
+5V    1.0A  48A
+12V   1.0A  30A
-5V    0A    0.5A
-12V   0A    0.8A
+5VSB  0A    2.5A

+3.3V & +5V = 263W
Total Power = 530W
Max Power   = 580W
Here's what else is in the box:

MSI K8N Neo Platinum Mobo MS-7030 (Socket 754)
Athlon 64 3000+
2x Crucial 512MB DDR PC3200
BFG Geforce 6600 GT 128MB
SB Audigy 2
Leadtek DTV Card
16x DVD Re-writer
52x CD Re-writer
3x Western Digital SATA HDs (320MB, 320MB, 200MB)
Super Flower Fan Master

This setup has been running since about March this year when I added the TV card, but the problem has only showed up about the last month. Everything not used is switched off in the BIOS (2nd IDE, Floppy, Serial, Parallel, etc). The only other power drains are to USB Mouse, keyboard and wireless joypad receiver.

Hope that's enough to help. There's a lot of stuff in there, but the PSU should be able to cope. It's a decent PSU, and I'd hope it would last more than two years. :(

That psu does seem capable enough. However, that`s no guarantee it`s not faulty.

I suggest you go HERE and follow the instructions.

If that doesn`t help, attach 5 or 6 of your latest minidumps here.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back