Intermittent computer hangs before POST

Status
Not open for further replies.
This started in the last couple weeks - If the computer is off - when I attempt to turn it on - it powers up but nothing happens - lights flash on the cd drives and I can hear the hard drives spin up. Monitor stays in standby - no POST beeps are heard.

I've found if I make some kind of hardware change it will boot most of the time. IE - today I moved the ram from bank1 to bank2. The other day I disconnected the USB hub. Another time I disconnected an empty hard drive tray.

I've tried leaving it on for a while (30 min) in the pre-post state and nothing happens.

Its fine if its just rebooted.

once the computer is running - it works flawlessly - i've just been leaving it on for the most part these days so I don't have to deal with it but I would like to find a resolution.

My config.

XP Pro no SP1
512 DDR RAM
Athlon 1900+
ECS-K7S5A MB
CDrom
CDRW
20 GB HD
120 GB HD
GForce4 440 64MB
PCI - EIDE Controller card
300W PS - i know its low but I've been running this config for months without problem.

I have found very few people with this problem - however this is one of them.

https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread/t-8224.html

and here is another

http://forums.devshed.com/t97793/s6c20f93e15bcce6c220ec9d59e393da0.html

and there hasn't been a resolution posted. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'm out of ideas about what could be the problem - maybe a bios virus?

Originally posted by crashplane
This started in the last couple weeks - If the computer is off - when I attempt to turn it on - it powers up but nothing happens - lights flash on the cd drives and I can hear the hard drives spin up. Monitor stays in standby - no POST beeps are heard.

not sure if this is gonna help any, but i have an older HP that craps out on me sorta like that... when its on it works perfect, it will restart without a problem... but when i shutdown the PC, and try to turn it on... nothing posts... what i normally do... LOL and i wouldnt recommend u do this, but i take out the connectors that connect the power button to the mother board... and i just take a screw driver and i place it between the 2 pins,, and it will actually turn the MB on... now im not sure if its the case that is giving me the problem or the motherboard... i hope this doesnt shock to many people, but the computer was given to me by a friend, he was the one who explained to me that i need to do this from time to time... i took it in to see if i can do anything with it... i havent had too much time to mess with it tho

My A+ study guide says that if 1. the pc doesn't boot properly and 2. the screen is blank and 3. the drive or fan is spinning or lights are on but 4. you don't hear a beep during boot, to start by troubleshooting the motherboard. (I haven't gotten to the part where they say how to troubleshoot the motherboard, but I can hardly wait...)

Robin

This sounds very much like a not properly seated graphics card.
Take it out, clean the contacts with an eraser, blow off the leftover bits and reseat the card. While you are at it, do the same with any other cards and the memory-chips.
Make sure you remove the powercord from the PC and ground yourself properly.

Thanks for your suggestions - I actually haven't had the problem reoccur since I moved the ram from 1 slot to the next so either the ram had come unseated or the slot is bad - I don't know

https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9098

See my thread about the same issue. Funny but my problem is on a HP as well. Didn't think about moving the memory over to the next slot. The problem with that is that this is a micro tower. I would have to take the HD as well as the PSU and CD-Rom out just to get to the memory!

One thing though, when I first tried to boot mine up. It didn't beep at all. Then after playing with it, it would beep 4 times. Then I found that unplugging the power to the HD helped.

dlxp - regarding your problem

I would try taking apart the pc, blowing all the dust out and putting it back together - but really I don't have a concrete solution. I looked quite a while on the net for my problem and although there were a few others with similar problems, no one has any real solutions just suggestions.

Good luck and post whatever u do to solve it.

Same here

Hey everyone. Same problem here, and it's beginning to really be a problem. However, i have narrowed it down i think to one of two things.

1) Motherboard
2) Processor.

The reason i say this, is because im running an amd 2600+. My computer always ran fine for a while, then all of a sudden it starting hanging on boot. 2600+ in bios (awardbios), is cpu frequency on 166mhz and the multiplier is 12.5x. If i set it to those settings, my monitor will standby but never come on, and like everyone else; lights come on, microphone light comes on, HD spins.

When my computer if fully up, i have to hold my power button for 4 secs for it to shutdown. When my computer hangs and montior doesnt come on, it will turn off after holding for 1 sec.

None the less, if i clear cmos this is what happens:

CPU Frequency: Auto
(Some reason, it put its at 1.47ghz "Athlon (TM)" and that's all it says)

DRAM: 100mhz

And everything is is default. Now my monitor still takes a long time to come on, but will ALWAYS boot up.

Can my motherboard not handle the processor? What setting is causing it to do this? I have KT400 Dragon Ultra and it holds up to 3200 i believe.

Someone needs to help us all out here!

I hope this helps some

This is what SOYO USA lists on their website for the problem. Hope it helps someone.

I get No beep, no post and nothing on the screen when turning the computer ON.

The system power-up, no video, no beeping sound heard, but I can hear the CPU fan working.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To resolve this issue:

1. Remove the all the memory sticks from the motherboard and verify the case speaker is plugged into the motherboard. Turn on the system, if you hear beeps, try another memory stick or replace the memory. If no beeps heard continue on to the next step.

2. Clear CMOS battery. (JP5 connector, see Quick start guide for more info on how to clear the CMOS)

3. Check all the jumper settings on the M/B. Please refer to your manual in the installation section for Jumper settings and installation procedures.

4. Check if the CPU is supported by your motherboard (check the Quick start guide for CPU supported or jumper settings on the M/B). Also check the CPU for damage by removing the CPU form the board and verifing the pins are not bent.

5. Check the power supply and verify that it is working and the Fan is spinning. Also verify that you have all the power connectors connected properly. The power supply should be at least 350 watts, AMD or P4 Approved.

6. Make sure the CPU fan is connected to CPUFAN1 connector (for K7 M/B only).

7. Try holding down the insert key on your keyboard, if this allows you to access the BIOS or the video comes on the screen please refer to your manual about the Fan of control function.

8. Remove the M/B from the case and test the system with the bare components. Test with one memory stick, video card, CPU and CPU fan, Power connectors, and the case speaker. The M/B might be shorted to the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back