Intermittent slowdowns while gaming

I have an P6214Y (Athlon II X4 620(2.6GHz) 8GB DDR2 1TB HD NVIDIA GeForce 9100 Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit) I believe it has a 300W power supply, if that is relevant.

Over the past few months I've had trouble with games intermittently slowing down after a few minutes. I noticed it first on emulators playing Legend of Dragoon and Earthbound. I've also had the issue playing Portal 2 via Steam.

When the slowdowns happened while I was playing Earthbound I would minimize the snes9x window and open up taskmanager. The cpu would be at around 21% then drop almost instantly to 7% or lower. A few minutes later, the game would return to normal speeds. After a few more minutes of play, it happens again. While this slowdown is going on, windows open and close a lot less smoothly. Lots of little afterimages. Also, firefox runs slower, if opened.

The issue only seems to initiate while I'm playing games.

I've ran mbam and avg scans and my computer comes up clean.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

I would think this is probably due to overheating. Check the GPU heatsink is clean and blow it out with a can of compressed air.

You could also download this to check the temperature of the GPU if it will detect it.

http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.ph... with the minimum requirements for the games.

Back