Internal HD space disappeared

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tha General

My internal HD is total 10GB, last night it was 1.80GB, which is correct , but when i turn on my computer today, it reads this:

I check the temp folder, no large files there. I did a clean up, nothing. I notice it does this sometimes, but haven't done it in a long time, sometimes my internal hd will just disappear and come back a few hours or when it wants too.

I also notice in safe mode it says i have 2.30GB left, but when i get out of safe mode it says 1.80GB, but right now, it reads 900MB ????????????

Should i do a check my hd for errors?

Do the below cleanups

Run CCleaner http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds (get SLIM at bottom no Yahoo toolbar)
Run twice or more on Cleanup temps, then on left click Registry then Scan for issues also repeat till clean. You may have this from the 8 Steps.

Run ATF-Cleaner http://majorgeeks.com/ATF_Cleaner_d4949.html Temp and Registry, repeatedly until no more found.

KCleaner ftp://ftp2.kcsoftwares.com/kcsoftwa/files/kcleaner.exe
Fantastic cleaner. (When installing uncheck Relevant Knowledge do not install)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Start-Programs-Accessories-System Tools-Disk- System Restore and create a new Restore point. Name it "Cleanup at TechSpot". Or something meaningful to you.

Then Start-Programs-Accessories-System Tools-Disk Cleanup
Click OK to accept C:
Select all Boxes
Then click More Options
Here click System Restore and OK to "Are you sure" and the OK to Run.

As this runs it clears all but the most recent Restore Point but it does one other thing that can contain infested files and a huge amount of disk space.

It clears what is known as Shadow copies which are used by specialized back up programs.

This is if you have the Volume Shadow Copy running which is the default.

If you have not already done so go into System properties-Performance settings-Advanced-Virtual memory (the Page/Swapfile) and note your current setting. Then set c: to no pagefile and click OK. Then add it to d: and save.

Mike

WOW, i got 2.50GB back, after using that system restore point thing. What happen, i mean why does it take all that hd space and how come i couldn't find it hahah

Thanks. :)

Did you run all the rest!

Also did you move the PageFile to d: this should also be a performance boost as this drive being newer is likely much faster and off the OS system drive!

Mike

i mean why does it take all that hd space and how come i couldn't find it hahah
You couldn't "find" all that space because Windows loves to hide things! (really!)
  • Just having Admin rights doesn't give you rights to "see" a directory under Windows. Windows requires you to have explicit permissions to the directory
  • Use Explorer to look at C:\System Volume Information. That's where System Restore is saved. Look at the file size! (it will show size=0)
  • Now download and use Jdiskreport to see what's on your C: drive (a very handy tool, by the way). Look and see what it reports for C:\System Volume Information again. A big difference, huh?
  • Here's some stuff specific to "seeing" System Restore stuff under normal Windows

/* EDIT */
[post=743488]And here's something for another performance boost re: your pagefile[/post]

Did you run all the rest!

CCcleaner and the system restore thing and Disk Cleanup, thats it. System restore was the option that fix it. :)

Also did you move the PageFile to d: this should also be a performance boost as this drive being newer is likely much faster and off the OS system drive!
Wait , you mean F right? I only have 2 hard drives, C which is the Internal HD at 10GB, and F which is my 500GB USB 2.0 external HD. But you have too understand, my Motherboard is 1.1 speed, so my External is actually slower then my Internal hd. I play my games more on my external tho, been doing it for about 3 years now. Might be slower, yes, but it has the most space.

Mike[/QUOTE]

You couldn't "find" all that space because Windows loves to hide things! (really!)
  • Just having Admin rights doesn't give you rights to "see" a directory under Windows. Windows requires you to have explicit permissions to the directory
  • Use Explorer to look at C:\System Volume Information. That's where System Restore is saved. Look at the file size! (it will show size=0)
  • Now download and use Jdiskreport to see what's on your C: drive (a very handy tool, by the way). Look and see what it reports for C:\System Volume Information again. A big difference, huh?
  • Here's some stuff specific to "seeing" System Restore stuff under normal Windows

/* EDIT */
[post=743488]And here's something for another performance boost re: your pagefile[/post]

Thanks for the info and tool. But the last bit of information is not needed, i am only back using my Pentium III, because my celeron d that i had blew up haha, it was only 40 bucks and used and had problems from the start.

In a few days, or maybe 2 weeks i am buying a brand new rig from best buy, so i would have plenty of ram :)

F which is my 500GB USB 2.0 external HD.
Just noticed that comment (and what remarked later)

So let me comment on/clarify a few things.

Moving your pagefile

USB 2.0 does support data speeds much faster then USB 1.1, but USB 2.0 is still much slower then an internal disk. Can be good to move a pagefile to a second internal drive but wouldn't advise a USB drive

System Restore Space
  • By default, Windows allocates 15% of the each drive to System Restores
  • You can save space (and CPU) by turning System Restore off for drives which are used only for data storage (like your external USB)
  • You definitley want it running on your C drive and understand the trade-offs if tempted to reduce the allocated space. (i.e. less space allocated means fewer saved checkpoints before space must be re-used.)
  • I'll also note there was a Windows problem (don't know if still exists) where System Restore does go OVER its allocation... so do keep an eye on that as well
  • And, as mflynn pointed out, if you ever discover a malware infection.. certainly clear out your old System Restore points so it doesn't come back to haunt you!

1) how much physical RAM do you have on your computer?

2) Go back to your Disk Properties window and at bottom uncheck the "Allow indexing" option will also give you more CPU. IMHO: Unless you do lots of searches, better to let your occasional search take a bit longer (cause no indexing) vs. having your computer running a bit slower (as indexing is stealing some CPU cycles)

/* EDIT */
For that matter, can even just disable the Indexing Service so it doesn't even take startup time on boot! (that;s what i do on all my systems)

Opps in the first Screen I saw f: as Local disk but typed d: by mistake.

No don't put page file on Removable Drive or USB! Leave on C:

I also agree with LookinAround on the Indexing.

Yes I know the Windows Cleanup removed the most but The other 2 cleaners especially KCleaner could clean up a substantial amount more space!

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back