Internet browsing has slowed to a crawl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently i have experienced significantly slower speeds while surfing the internet (both firefox 3 and IE). Most of the time the browser fails to load images. At other times i am unable to load a website or it just takes really really long. It only occurs when i use my browsers, i have no problems using MSN or gaming online.

I have scanned my computer with AVG 8 and Ad-aware and the results reveal that my computer is clean. I also used CCleaner but i see no improvement in the situation. I thought it might be an issue with my internet connection or ISP but i have a 2nd computer which shares the same connection and it has no problems surfing the internet.

I'm not sure what to do. Please advice me.

1- Start Internet Explorer, click tools, internet options, then click delete cookies, delete files (check offline too) and clear history, one at a time.

2- Then click Start, programs, accessories, system tools, and then click Disk Cleanup and check ALL the boxes displayed (may take a couple min's).

Then, copy the next few lines into Notepad and save as Flush.bat and then double click that:

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /registerdns

ipconfig /renew

Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm seeing some minor improvement in the browsing speed! It is still a little unstable though. Occasionally i can load a page... occasionally i cant. Some webpages remain the same. For example, i still cannot load the small images of videos on youtube. Once again these problems do not persist on my 2nd pc.

Two considerations:

1. Not enough RAM installed.
2. Too many programs starting at boot and running in the background.

There are a number of things that can show these symptoms, but considering you can run online games no problemo and it is browser related for 2 disparate browsers, then it does eliminate some possibilities.

Check out your browser add-ons and shut any off you can.

ONLY run 1 browser (disable the other).

When trying to load a picture that slows you down, have a look at running processes and note anything suspicious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back