Internet Connection Sharing stopped working?

By johnt3483
Feb 23, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OK, Here's how this works:

Host: XP pro laptop, attached to university network LAN, internet connection sharing enabled on LAN, sharing with laptop's wireless network card.

Wireless network created with alphanumeric WEP key.

Clients: friends laptops, my own nokias (n95), 5800 etc

Took a while to set up, but for two weeks I had internet connection sharing nicely set up. At first my client devices were only getting my local university network internet, but that turned out to be a proxy setting.

Now, for no clear reason, Internet connection sharing has stopped working.

I can still connect to the wireless network broadcast from my laptop from my various clients (laptop and phones) but none of them can get any data. I've had a look at the wireless network's status (once it's shaken hands with the client, the a window pops up to tell me I have a strong wireless network) - but the wireless status always says SENT (30 packets +), RECEIVED (0).

Received is always on 0. That's a problem I guess.

Then eventually the phone or laptop just times out.

So I can make the wireless connection as I used to, but can't get any internet on the client devices. All my dns / ip settings etc are set to auto, and I've removed any proxy settings as they didn't seem to help.

I don't know why it's stopped working, but I'd love your help to get it back. Thanks
  2. johnt3483

johnt3483 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Hooray - I found a solution.

Restart the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service from services.msc
  3. raybay

raybay TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

How did you find that solution? and is everything still working normally?
  4. johnt3483

johnt3483 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Just a lucky guess. I'd tried everything else, and I knew that I hadn't tinkered with any dns/ip settings etc.

Trouble is I went an enabled loads of services that I probably don't need, but the system is running OK so I think I'll just leave em be.
  5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,354   +302

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.