Internet connection too slow on my system

hi everyone,

i have a new pc about three months old, the internet is too slow on my system but other users on my home network are having a fast connection. i have laid the blame on the pc tool internet security software that i was using, i had to uninstall it and install kaspersky internet security yet the problem gets worst. but when i connect it to school server, i get a faster connection. however the home network we use is sky unlimited internet, i am worried that other people are having a faster browsing than me.

pls i need your help. thank you.

Ebuka

Did you use an uninstall tool to get rid of the old security software?

What is your security setup with Kaspersky, are you also using a third party firewall?

Try disabling all your security software and see if your connection speeds up, if it does you can re-enable the software one by one to find out what is causing the problem.

Has your internet speed gradually declined, been the same since the PC was new or did it suddenly drop?

Make sure you have the most uptodate drivers on your wireless adapter.

Have a read through this guide it could be something in your home that is interfering with the single, cordless mobile phones are a common problem and a neighbour using the same ISP on the same channel.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/12308

Hello,
i used the uninstall from the control panel
i use the windows firewall and the kaspersky firewall
i have tried disabling the software but it is still slow

It is not advisable to use two firewalls, disable one of them.

Go to the manufacturers site of the previous security software and see if they have an uninstall tool.

Start the PC in safe mode with networking and see if it improves.

Try using a cable connection to your router. If that improves the speed go into device manager and uninstall the wireless card then reboot. That will re-install the drivers which might help.

Did you read through the guide I gave and use the software? As you get good speeds on another network this is most likely something in or around your home that is interfering with the signal.

Poor system performance has many contributors, amongst which are the following:
  • little free space on the boot disk (open my computer to see)
  • tons of temp files (run cleanmgr )
  • too many System Restore Points (disable System Restore and then re-enable with a limit of 2-3gb)
  • too many programs running (see the count and list in the Taskmgr)
    • one cause is too many user startup programs
    • the other is useless services from Windows
  • After working on all of these, it is time to defrag the boot HD
Depending upon which version of Windows you are using {XP, Vista, Win/7} the memory requirements vary, but the general rule is The More the Better - -
up until you get to 4gb. At this point, you need a 64bit version of Windows to use more (hint: installing 8gb on a 32bit OS is wasteful)

Your welcome, but would you be kind enough to add a post to explain what you did. That may help me to help others with a similar problem and anyone else who reads the thread.

well i suspected tht two things might be the reason
1. i went to the settings of kaspersky internet security and there is a an option that says (enable advanced disinfection technology) and there is a warning sign that says that the option has the ability to slow down the system performance. so i had to disable it.

2. the wireless router in my house is in the upper floor while i sleep in the ground floor, so when i take it to the upper rooms i get fast connection. just that i was worried that other people gets faster connection than me.

Thats something usefull to know about Kaspersky, thanks for letting me know, and others who may read the thread.

The poor signal due to distance from the router is understandable, not much you can do about that apart from moving the router closer. Though I do beleive you can get a signal booster for your PC, might be worth looking into.

Not my field of expertise so I cannot give much advise.

All I can say is if you type "wifi booster antenna" into your search engine there will be plenty available to order on line and some DIY projects.

Back