Internet doesn't immediately connect

Status
Not open for further replies.

sellmesanity

Whats up all, I built my friend a computer and whenever we boot it up to Windows XP, it takes about a minute for the internet to connect. His old computer didn't do this, we tried different drivers, turning off the firewall, plugging directly into the modem and it doesn't work instantly upon bootup. Here are his specs

Asus m2n68-am (Nforce 630a chipset)
2gb kingston ddr2 800
evga 9600gt 512
Amd athlon x2 4800+

Could the port be bad? If it was bad I'd think it wouldn't work at all...what would cause the internet not to work instantly? Has anyone ever heard of this? Every other computer i've ever used connects instantly to the internet...

Is XP updated to Service Pack 3? You might have many programs trying to load on startup slowing Internet connectivity

It is service pack 3 and also it is a super light version of XP and it barely has any programs installed, let alone ones that load up and use the internet.

Whats up all, I built my friend a computer and whenever we boot it up to Windows XP, it takes about a minute for the internet to connect.
how are you measuring startup/connect time -- launching the browser and awaiting the home page?

With your follow-up, attach the mytcp.txt file generated by running
run->cmd /k ipconfig /all >mytcp.txt

the file will be located at \Documents and Settings\yourlogin\mytcp.txt

So weird...my friend formatted and installed the drivers off the DVD which he wasnt able to do before cause he didn't have a DVD drive...and it fixed it. Thanks all!

False hope. So he went from Xp to Vista, then back to XP. It worked fine he said until he used windows update. So windows update caused this. As for which one...im not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back