Internet doesn't work despite "Connected" status

Status
Not open for further replies.
I should start out by saying that the internet works at the university (we use Resnet), and that when I bring it back home and put in my cable, it doesn't work.

Windows reports that my laptop is connected to the internet, it's just that any attempt to go on any webpage or to ping even the router results in a timeout.

It's not that my router isn't accepting pings, I ping the LAN (not WAN) address (192.168.1.1) and I get no response.

I attached the result of an ipconfig /all:
http://img149.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ipconfigmp8.jpg

In addition, in an attempt to repair the connection via windows results in a message "WIndows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed: Renewing your IP address.

And the 'packets received' in the tcp/ip window are abnormally small.

If anyone has any insight into this issue, please help. No internet on my laptop is driving me crazy. Thanks.

Restart the router as a first, this might sort you out. Also Try an ipconfig /flushdns command and after that ipconfig /release - /renew.
If this doesn't work, try assigning yourself static ip credentials as a test (with a known public DNS server). If this works, log into your router and try and ping the public DNS servers it has listed. If they do not respond, change them to known ones in your area.

Try these and let us know how you go :grinthumb

How would I go about assigning myself static IP credentials with a known public DNS server?

The problem isn't with my cable modem/router because all the other computers hooked up to it works fine (their internet is fine).

Remove the NIC drivers and reboot the PC
Let Windows re-install them, but it can't find them use your CD for them or download the latest ones from the company who makes it.

Another way to do this also is to go into the NIC properties and un-check all settings then reboot the PC

Upon coming back in then go back to the NIC properties check all then try it again.

Repair and renew to me is a waste of time. You're depending on Windows to fix something it can't detect right. Try the driver method then my second solution. I've do for all end users and it fixes the problem. Actually I show how to do it for themselves..

For some reason, right now the router/network isn't even assigning the laptop a network address. I set the TCP/IP settings to "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically" and it doesn't work. I end up with no DNS server, and no IP address (I get a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx) Windows reports that I have "limited connectivity"

So I put it to manual "Use the following IP address" and I filled in 192.168.1.46 for the IP, 225.225.225.0 for the subnet, and 192.168.1.1 for the gateway (the router). I also used 192.168.1.1 for the DNS server (which connects it to the router, which connects it to the actual DNS server) It is also what my (internet working) desktop computer also has. When I do this, windows reports that my status is "connected" and "working". (the original problem)

I then tried uninstalling the NIC driver and then letting windows install it again as tipstir suggested, but it didn't work. The same problem occured: the computer can't receive any packets. The sent is at about 80, while the re ceived is still at 0 or 1. ANd I don't know what you mean by unchecking the values there... I don't see anything to uncheck or check o.O

Thanks a lot for your help guys.

EDIT: I have some new information from my system event logs:

12:46 - [tcpip] The system detected that network adapter \DEVICE\TCPIP_{C00E5564-7162-4E07-BC31-FBC70C93A239} was connected to the network, and has initiated normal operation over the network adapter.

12:47 - [Dhcp] Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with network address 0017319A9280. The IP address being used is 169.254.233.168. (WARNING)

12:51 - [tcpip] The system detected that network adapter \DEVICE\TCPIP_{C00E5564-7162-4E07-BC31-FBC70C93A239} was connected to the network, and has initiated normal operation over the network adapter.

(same tcpip message for the next few minutes)

12:54 - [IPNATHLP] The Network Address Translator (NAT) was unable to request an operation of the kernel-mode translation module. This may indicate misconfiguration, insufficient resources, or an internal error. The data is the error code. (ERROR)

12:54 - [Server] The server could not bind to the transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{C00E5564-7162-4E07-BC31-FBC70C93A239}. (WARNING)

12:54 - [NetBT] Initialization failed because the transport refused to open initial Addresses. (ERROR)

12:58 - [Dhcp] Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with network address 0017319A9280. The IP address being used is 169.254.233.168. (WARNING)

I scrolled a bit down and found a reason for the Dhcp warning messages:

Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 0017319A9280. The following error occurred:
The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back