Internet Explorer 8 keeps crashing after install

Status
Not open for further replies.

InsaneVr6

I use two browsers on my computer (Opera and Internet Explorer)

I always used them both (sometimes at the same time) flawlessly. I used Opera 9.7 and IE7. Once I found out that IE8 came out, I decided to update. The install seemed to go through fine, and was prompted to restart. I restarted and ran IE8, went through the initial setup, and was brought to my homepage. My problem comes in when I type in an internet adress or click a link to get to a another webage. I get 'Internet Explorer has stopped working', and then it goes white and brings up my homepage again with a tab reading 'This tab has been recovered'.

I cannot browse the net with IE8 without it crashing. I guess I could reinstall IE7, but I like to be up-to-date. Any ideas? (opera still works fine)

I think the IE8 final just came out. If you have the RC or Beta 1 or 2, get rid of it and get the Final.

But before you do, please read my post about IE8 here:
IE8- What Are They Thinking?
https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?p=735582#post735582

I cannot browse the net with IE8 without it crashing. I guess I could reinstall IE7, but I like to be up-to-date. Any ideas?
Always keep in mind that new does not mean better- especially when it comes to new versions!

Thanks Bobbye. I have the final version. To be honest, I used to have the RC, and it worked fine, then i deleted it for IE7. Then when the final came out, I figured I would use IE8. After reading your article, it seems that IE8 might not be the best choice.

I always liked IE because it was the go-to for creating webpages (which I do) because it translates HTML very well, where Opera (which I also use) tends to throw some things off on some webpages.

I know that new does not mean better, I just wanted to figure out why it crashed every time I tried to navigate to a webpage....I never had that problem with the RC.

Vista has an Event Viewer like Windows XP- the path is different, but you can s
till look for Errors occurring at the time of the crashes. That might give you the info you want:

To bring up the Event Viewer:
Start> Run> type in eventvwr

Do this on each the System and the Applications logs:
1. Click to open the log>
2. Look for the Error>
3 .Right click on the Error> Properties>
4. Click on Copy button, top right, below the down arrow
5. Paste here (Ctrl V)

Reading the Event Viewer in Vista:

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/Monitoring-Event-Logs-Windows-Vista.html

I think it's basically much like Windows XP in what you look for which will be the Errors. The Warnings and Information Events can be ignored as far as looking for 'reasons' are concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back