Internet Explorer 8 stopped running

bmyzer101

I help a local small business owner with computer issues so I'm not sure who's been on the computer or if someone did something to the computer. I've never seen this before but when you start IE8 it you get the IE8 has experienced a problem and must shut down. Then you get the "report this issue to microsoft" window. Sometimes it will come up then close the window immediately. If I start IE8 "with add-ons disabled" IE runs fine. So I went in and manually disabled all the add ons but when I ran IE8 normally it has the same issue. Has anyone ever seen this and what did you do to fix it. Thanks guys.

I would try selectively disabling them,half at a time so you know which half is the problem and repeat as necessary.
Then you can disable the defective add-on(s) or try re installing them.

OK then your post becomes unclear, is there a 'run with add-on disabled' option? I don't use IE much, FIrefox or Chrome for me (they have their own issues too), So did you enable them at start-up then disable then whilst running?

OK maybe I understand now, You could try re installing IE.

How do you run IE with add-ons disabled anyway?

the addons are just the extra plug ins that various programs use to link to the internet and make a nice user interface for you. such as the yahoo sidebar...flash...adobe reader...etc. If an addon was installed wrong, this could be an issue. You should be able to go into tools> manage add-ons> and see all your addons that are connected to IE8. If you have any that are completely foriegn to you or you know you will not be using I would uninstall them. Then again, I agree with esbo that perhaps it would be best to re-install IE.

Once again, as a Firefox/google chrome user I always suggest to people that using one of thoes two browsers is much more secure, some ways user friendly, they do have their ups and downs, but mostly ups.

So try looking at your addons first, uninstall ones you dont need, if that doesnt work reinstall IE8, (or firefox/google chrome, oprah, etc) get back with us when it has been resolved :D!

Yeah I have spent alot of time disabling add-ons and testing them. I think reinstalling is the way to go. I have disabled the add-ons in every combination and it doesn't work at all. esbo, to answer your question if you right click the IE shortcut it gives you the option of running without add-ons or you can go through start menu>accessories>system tools>Internet explorer(no add-ons). Thanks guys.

The option to run without add-ons is a standard feature with IE 8. But like I said I disable the add-ons in every possible combination but unless I ran it without add-ons (even if I disabled all add-ons) it would not run.

The option to run without add-ons is a standard feature with IE 8. But like I said I disable the add-ons in every possible combination but unless I ran it without add-ons (even if I disabled all add-ons) it would not run.

I would imagine it is a different process, when you run it with dd-on and disable them the add-ons have all ready 'got their claws' into your computer system.

So I don;t think disabling them like that will work.

Get rid of the lot and re-install them selectively.

Probably the last one which caused the problem or it my just be IE8 being problematic
which it can be according to those links

Add-ons, I believe could be written by any tom **** or harry, have you looked at who wrote them?

Is there a "Mr A. Hacker" on the list?

Back