Internet Explorer 9 heading to the Xbox 360 with Kinect controls

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft’s Xbox 360 could soon become an even more integral part of your home theater / media / social networking system. Sources say that Microsoft is testing a version of Internet Explorer 9 designed to run on Redmond’s gaming console with Kinect voice and gesture support.

The 360 already has a voice search function using Bing but as The Verge points out, results are limited to media only. Internet Explorer will open up the full web browsing experience on the console in an unrestricted environment. The Verge has a solid track record with regards to Xbox predictions. Most recently, the publication correctly revealed Microsoft’s plans to subsidize the 360 a week before it happened.

Users with a Kinect motion sensing device will be able to utilize it with IE for voice and gesture control. Kinect isn’t mandatory but sources claim that the browser will be tuned to work best with it. Since entering text can be a real chore with a controller, it makes sense to either use a Kinect or the 360 Chatpad accessory, a tiny keyboard that mounts to the bottom of a controller.

No word yet on when Microsoft will officially introduce this feature but as we know, E3 is looming in the not-so-distant future so we could very well see an announcement either leading up to the event or during the conference. The annual video game conference takes place at the Los Angeles Convention Center June 5-7.

Permalink to story.

The role of the console was touted as simple for anyone to use, no patches needed no isntallations or activation etc needed (years ago when the console was a console), the consoles are becoming more and more a desktop each and every time a new "innovation" is made on a console.

The only thing keeping them distant from a desktop is that consoles have a layed out ahrdware spec that devs find easier to support, where as a desktop has a large array of hardware variations making it harder / more expensive to support.

Yes there are more differences like expansion and productivity but that only goes to say that a console is not able to be a desktop so why keep trying, I guess because ppl keep buying them thinking that the guy next door has one so I should also..

God ducking dam it!!, finally a good Guest post.

What about Java and those sort of things?

IE9 will be better on 360 than the PS3's browser lol.

Firefox/Chrome/Opera on 360? :(

I also preferred Firefox, Chrome or Opera, but, it's good that they are adding at least one browser. Maybe now, I will open my xbox again - at least to install the update.(After almost 6 or 7 months of sleep)
Yet, the biggest problem with the 360 is the lack of support in my country. Even though they said they will add support here 5 years ago, they still didn't.
I'm not, yet, convinced to use it again, for games, stop being 360 a good console for a long time, actually I prefer PC now, and because other services are not working in my country, I don't see why I should open my 360 just for a browser when on the PC is much easier to navigate and I have a better browser.

Back