TechSpot

Internet Explorer and Firefox can not connect to Internet

By tcmiller
Oct 5, 2005
  1. I recently had to repair Windows XP. I removed Service Pack 2, did the repair, and reloaded Service Pack 2 and all of the other updates that had been removed.

The repair was successful, however Internet Explorer and Firefox would not connect to the Internet. I found that the only way to download Service Pack 2 was to go to Network Neighborhood and select Favorites. This allowed Internet Explorer to go to the Windows Update Page. Windows Explorer works fine in this mode until a new page in a new window is requested.

Outlook, Outlook Express, Norton Anti-Virus, Quicken, and NoAdWare all access the Internet and work fine.

I uninstalled Firefox and reinstalled it but that did not solve the problem.

Thanks for your help.

2. hawkeye2

hawkeye2 TS Rookie

Me too !

I'm seeing exactly the same when I uninstalled sp2 ! Re-install of sp2 did not work

Not a happy bunny !

3. SCHUMIinSA

SCHUMIinSA TS Rookie Posts: 162

So you are saying your internet works just not with those browsers?

I had service pack 2 on an older pc and it was annoyiing the hell outa me so I un-installed it. Shortly afterwards I was forced to re-install my modem, graphics card and printer drivers as they had been partially corrupted and had gone missing.
    Try re-installing your modem drivers. Check your device manager for any errors aswell.

4. gnomad

gnomad TS Rookie

Explorer and Outlook Express Problem

Yesterday morning when I booted up to start working and checked my mail, I found that if I hit "reply" or try to make a new email, the program just disappears in a flash. On explorer, I can go to general pages, such as netflix, but I cannot go to a page that has a search feature such as google or yahoo. I also cannot download any fixes or updates from Microsoft, although I can go to the page. Any ideas?

5. CrossFire851

CrossFire851 TS Rookie Posts: 1,058

This sounds like a driver problem, go find your chipset drivers if you can. Best of luck

6. gnomad

gnomad TS Rookie

How?

How can it be that problem if Firefox can access the internet?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.