Internet explorer clogs memory

By stretch_af
Jan 29, 2010
  1. I have a HP Pavillion. About a month ago, my laptop started freezing up while surfing the web. I started watching my task manager while this was happening. It turns out that the internet is clogging my RAM. I also use a gadget on the sidebar to monitor RAM. Just before the computer freezes, the RAM is at ~95%. That is just with one tab open, and no other tasks running. Closing all tabs reduces RAM to about 25% almost instantly and everything starts to work fine again. i'm not sure if I should blame the RAM or IE.

Any comments or suggestions.

2. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,681   +86

Well you need to do two things:

1. Update your windows via windows update service to get all upto date patches/fixes
    2. Download Malwarebytes for installation and scan your system and post its log here.

I am assuming its a Vista machine; please confirm though.
  3. vijayallenraj

vijayallenraj TS Rookie

Are you using IE8? Its pretty bad. I'd suggest you use the Firefox 3.5. \

This doesnt answer your question, but just an alternative though.
  4. Archean

I dont think it has anything to do with IE being a bad browser; in fact it feels much better than chrome if i have to do a comparison; however, i prefer FF above the rest :D
  5. stretch_af

stretch_af TS Rookie Topic Starter

Yeah its a Vista machine. I was using IE7 until this morning. I just downloaded IE8 to see if that helps. Will reply with updates.
  6. Archean

Alright, hope that will be improve your situation, and goodluck
  7. stretch_af

stretch_af TS Rookie Topic Starter

IE8 hasn't helped any. I've heard good things about Chrome. Don't know anything about FireFox. Might one of those help my situation? Or should I look at something else?
  8. Archean

Try firefox, it is much better than chrome in my view.
  9. vijayallenraj

vijayallenraj TS Rookie

And you can download the chromifox extreme theme to make it look like chrome:)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.