Internet Explorer is slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

nowthentech

I have been having trouble with Internet Explorer. It was very slow to start up and then very slow to use the drop-down menus. I ran AVG Free to make sure that any problems were sorted out there, but not much to report. I then installed Interent Explorer 8 and there was no improvement. However, I have just started to notice some improvement in the start up speed. However, it is still slow to operate the menus, expecially the Favorites menu. Also, switching between tabs is slow. Can anyone suggest what might be the problem?
Thank you

My log files

I have followed those 8 steps and I will now add my log files.
After taking those steps I am still experiencing the same problems with Internet Explorer.
Thanks

Attachments

• hijackthis.log
    11.7 KB · Views: 5
Is there anybody out there? Is this post in the wrong section? If it is, could someone please move it to where it should be?
Thank you

You did get rid of a lot of nasties. In your hijackthis log, delete these entries:
"O16 - DPF: {FAB2BB9D-91E9-457E-9D42-75A7FCCBBC00} (CDFusionActiveXCtl Object) - http://www.optimusexperience.com/us/Plugin/DFusionHomeWebPlugIn.Installer.exe"
"O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32\wpclsp.dll
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32\wpclsp.dll
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32\wpclsp.dll"

"O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe"
"O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
"R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - *{CFBFAE00-17A6-11D0-99CB-00C04FD64497} - (no file)"

There are sings of a backdoor trojan virus, but see if removing these entries helps

I have removed all those entries that you listed. I had to use LSPfix in order to remove the O10 entries. The program actually said that it had found no problems and I was only able to delete the wpclsp.dll by checking the "Advanced User" box. I hope this won't cause me any problems.
Still no improvements I'm afraid.

So Internet explorer is still slow? What about other tasks. Is the computer acting normally?

Sounds like the problem my sister was having. She had a bunch of trojans and other virus activity on the machine. I am baffled that Norton Internet Security 2009 didn't catch those.
I found most of them when I removed the HDD and connected it to my machine (as a non-boot drive).
Norton 2010 found the virus and malware files.

I was doing a clean install of XP on a bran-new HDD, and didn't want to take the chance of corrupting that system.

For your problem, I would remove all Temporary Internet Files from all users.
Reomve all cookies.
Clear the browsing history, and all offline file cache.

Also, look in the user's documents and settings / local settings / temp
Remove all the files in the temp folder.

If all this fails, back up your important files (do a virus / malware scan before doing so) to a removable device, then do a clean install of Windows.
Make sure you allow the Windows install to format the partition.

Good luck

FW

I'll give those things a try.

A fresh install of Windows - That's quite dramatic. I had no idea it was so serious.

If you’re having issues IE8 running slowly you may be running too many add-ons. In IE, go to ‘tools’ and ‘manage add-ons’. Disabling any unnecessary add-ons may help your Internet run faster. Try disabling add-ons with more than a .2 sec load time.

Hope this helps,
Feran
IE Outreach Team

I have found the problem. I went into Control Panel > Programs and Features and listed them according to the installation date. One of the most recently installed things was "Total Immersion D'Fusion Web Plugin". I uninstalled it and Bob's your uncle. Now, things are working properly but how do I know that I am free from Malware? Do i just assume that i am because I have scanned with several different pieces of anti-malware software, or can you experts tell from my HijackThis log that I am OK?
Thanks

It doesn't work again.

Sorry. I'm going to have to reverse that. It's not working again. What do I do?
One of the main symptoms is that when I click on the Favorites drop-down menu, it takes about 10 seconds before it displays the list. Then as I hover over some of the folders it then lists a blank sub-menu. I can still click on links and they work, but I ab clicking on a transparent sub-menu.

I have followed all the advice so far (apart from the reinstalling Windows advice). Any further suggestions?

have you tried loading IE8 without add-ins .. hows the speed then compaired to add-ins activated?

I haven't noticed any problems with other programs. IE only has a problem in the one user login. I don't think that I have SP2 installed. Why hasn't it automatically installed that with Windows updates?
I have 2GB of memory.

Open IE8, select Tools, Windows Update, check for updates... keep checking until no more updates are found

Did you install XP Service Pack 3? Or Service Pack 2 for Vista. You haven't wasted your time by updating Windows, it needed to be done regardless

Sorry, I didn't want to give the impression that I thought it was a waste of time (SP2 for Vista). I obviously made my comment too brief to convey my meaning. I was just giving an update.

empty system restore,,after deleting trojan and nasties,,that's what you have to do..
also run malwarebytes..in safe mode.

Because it could hide "nasties" in the old restore points. Just create a new restore point right after deleting all the old ones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back