Internet Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkouns001

I joined an on-line social forum and for some reason I am unable to post any messages, or reply to any posts. When I attempt to do either one, I received an error message from Internet Explorer which says it has encountered a problem and must close. It only closes that forum's window, all other windows using IE are up and running. I belong to numerous other on-line forum and have no problems in posting.

The site recognizes me and I am able to read all postings; and I am able to use the forum’s personal message program. Using the PM program, I explained my problem to the site administrator……..this is her response:

“I understand now, but I'm not sure I can help. It may be a security setting, but I also fear it may be malware. I might start with lowering your security (if you're comfortable) and a virus scan”

I have no virus, at least not one that Norton product can detect, my security setting is set at a medium setting. I do not use any other browser. And, as I said earlier, I am able to post on all other forums.

I would appreciate any help you can provide me. Thanks.

You can do one or both of two things:

If you are using Windows XP, check the Event Viewer for the Error that corresponds to when IE closes down:

Follow this path:
Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Event Viewer> Click on System & Apps, one at a time on the left> look for Errors on the right> right click error> Properties> note description of error, Event# and Source.

There is a "copy" button below the up/down arrows. Click that, then go to any place that allows you to type (ie. notepad, wordpad, this board) and you can paste (use CTRL-V) the entire event details there. It makes for easy reporting of the event.

If you want to paste the Event here, you do not need to include the lines of code that follow the Description- but paste all else. You will be looking for Error that occurs at the time of the problem. Please ignore Warnings.

and/or

If you're using IE7, go to the Control Panel> Add/Remove Programs and uninstall IE7. You can then go back to using IE6 which will still be on the system.

One other possibility is that the phishing filter in IE7 is preventing full use of that site. You can turn it off:
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2005/09/09/463204.aspx

Thanks so much for your reply. This is Event Application Error:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Error
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: 3/31/2008
Time: 8:52:17 PM
User: N/A
Computer: IBM-7XJR1DPTIUB
Description:
Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 6.0.2600.0, faulting module mshtml.dll, version 6.0.2745.2800, fault address 0x0006582c.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Thank you. Here's the problem:
When you visit a Web page that uses a custom pop-up object, Internet Explorer 6 closes unexpectedly. This problem occurs after you install security update 918899 on a Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)-based or a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 (SP1)-based computer.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem, install the most current cumulative security update for Internet Explorer, or install update 923996.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923996

You must reboot the computer after installing the update.

Let me know how this works for you.
:

Thanks so much, I am sure that is the answer to my problem. I don't think I am going to go through this process since I just received my new computer. I ordered it about a week ago and according to the UPS site it is out for delivery today. I am sure I will have many other questions when I set up my new computer, and can only hope I get as timely and informative responses as I have on this thread. Thanks so much, Bobbye.

Actually, I am going to start another thread about IE Favorites.

You're very welcome. Remember the value of the Event Viewer. In the meantime, why not get that update so you can participate on the site?

Bobbye

Thanks for showing me the advantages of the Even Viewer. I can see that it might be very helpful in the future.

I may very well get the update but I am hoping that my new computer will not encounter this problem. If it does, I will get the update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back