TechSpot

Internet loads homepage, but crashes as soon as I try to navigate away

By Aimsbury
May 6, 2009
  1. Hi All,

I've been having quite a few issues with my PC recently. The latest problem is with the internet. I'm using Windows XP and running IE7.

Each time I click on internet explorer, the homepage opens, but as soon as I click on a favourite, enter a search or a new address, the page freezes for approximately 20 seconds. A new blank window opens and also freezes (by blank, I mean it is a white screen that just says Internet Explorer provided by Sky Broadband in the blue box at the top. Occassionally, if I keep task manager open, I can use the original page to go to a new site, but after about 2 redirections, it all freezes again.

If I try to click on the tab of the original page, the new (white screen blue box) window overides it and keep sending me back to that page. I have to use task manager to close it down.

I've done a virus check (McAfee) but nothing came up. I've also done an Ad-aware scan but again, it came back clean.

I've tried to install ie updates but I can't download anything - it just opens a new white page with blue bar at the top.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have Hijack this and combo fix if you need me to do any scans and post logs etc.

Many thanks in advance,
    Amy

2. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 11,966   +70

Well hello Amy. Did you ever get your burning CDs/DVDs straightened out?

My suggestion is for you to go to the Virus and Malware forums, read the 8 Steps sticky, follow it step by step (don't skip any steps), and post the three Logs they require -- on that forum -- that comes out of those 8 Steps (not the current ones you have).

Good luck. :)

3. Aimsbury

Aimsbury TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 30

Thanks Jim - will try that now. Still having issues with the CD/DVD. My otherhalf decided to download driver detective, and then new drivers for our motherboard, Things have been even worse since then!

Have put a call in re vhs to pc by the way. Will let you know how what they say

_______

UPDATE:

I ran thought the 8 steps sticky on the virus page. Has been tricky as I've had to download the software on my work computer and load onto the PC using a USB stick as I can't get the internet to work. I ran the malbytes malware programme and it found a couple of things. Ran the Superantispy overnight and it didn't come up with anything. I was able to use the computer as normal this morning. When I get home tonight, I'll post all of the logs (on the virus and malware thread) along with a new HJthis log just to be sure, but at the moment, things seems to be ok - Fingers crossed!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.