TechSpot

Internet might someday lose its dependency on servers, rely on P2P instead

1. It's hard to even imagine the Internet without servers, but researchers at Cambridge University have developed a proof-of-concept for a new server-free Internet architecture. The prototype was developed as part of the €5.2 million project PURSUIT that comprises representatives from...

Read more

2. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 863   +225

I'd still rather have servers do all the heavy lifting. Data cannot be secured properly now, what makes you think I want all my neighbors PC's holding my stuff with the wet paper bag strength of P2P?
    Also, today's devices are still not that powerful, we can easily bring some of our new ProLiant XEON servers down to their knees. Just because your iphone can play 3D games made 12 years ago doesn't mean they are fast, or versatile.

3. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,499   +306

But this would also mean upload speeds on the ISP end would need to be increased substantially, I don't see this taking off to be honest :/

wastedkill likes this.
  4. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,088   +747

This makes sense. It could be one the ways forward but not for a while yet I suspect.

5. Not necessarily. You'd still have to have a server to specify the URI to get and do pki to make sure you get the right resource, but the ISP could traffic shape the P2P element so it only went to other subscribers (so it didn't need more peering, which is why upload is so limited on normal home connections) for the p2p part. You could also just stick it in javascript so that anyone logging onto your website would be in your cloud. Problem though your costumers will hate you if you take too many resources, especially on mobile where bandwidth is expensive.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.