Internet not working after XP reinstall

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to format my hard drive on my laptop and install XP again. I am slowly adding many of my programs but i really need access to the internet and I cant seem to get it to work. I added the service pack 2 and 3 to see if this would help and it did. It seems that I neet some drivers.I belive the network controller and ethernet controlers among others. I have a dell inspiron 6000. Can someone help me get started in the right direction. Thank you.

Go to start, right click on my computer, left click properties, go to the hardware tab and then click on device drivers. It says device driver or something like that, I dont have xp anymore I dont remember exactly what it says. Anyways this should bring you to a list of your device drivers. Look and see if there are any device drivers with a yellow exclamation mark next to them. More specifically under your network adapters section, expand it by clicking the + sign. A simple google search will tell you exactly how to get to your device manager if my xp instructions are not correct.

Whether or not there is a exclamation mark by your network adapter drivers, insert the device driver cd that came with your laptop, update or install your network drivers from the cd. While your there you might as well install any other device drivers that have a yellow ! next to them. Keep in mind you need to install\update the network adapter drivers even if they do not have a yellow !.

Now then if you do not have a cd or if using the cd device drivers does not work, you will need to download the latest device drivers off the internet. Since your here I can assume that you have some other way to get to the internet aside from your laptop.

Here is the device driver section on techspot
https://www.techspot.com/vb/menu23.html

Ill do a quick search myself and see if I can find them for you and will post back here in a few min.

Ok it looks like here are your drivers
http://support.dell.com/support/dow...W1&osl=en&catid=&impid=&SystemID=INS_PNT_6000

There are 10 different network drivers for your computer, you can look through them to see what you need or you can lazily just download them all and install them all in order of there release dates, oldest to newest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back