Not open for further replies.
Hey there guys and gals,

First specs are as follows:

Dell XPS 720
windows xp version 2002
servicepack2
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU
Q6600 @ 2.40 GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM

I had done your typical unplug router, and modem, for a couple of minutes, then plug them in a gain, thinking that could be the issue...but to no avail, it had failed me...

I am NOT connected on my desktop, though everywhere else in the home is able to connect.

I had done a full reinstallation on my OS, and ever since then, I have had to install from dell, the needed drivers on the dell CANADA website. - which was fully successful - well as far as I knew...

I still however notice that when i check in my device manager there are STILL yellow question marks on the other device - ethernet controller, SM Bus Controller, and USB Device. Thus leading to the imfamous no internet conectivity...

If you uneed to know anything else, please don't hesitate to ask...

Anywho what should I do from here? Any ideas, suggestions would be great...

Thanx :)

Alejandroe84

Those yellow flags are the key to fixing the problem. They are indicative that the socket is bad, or that the drivers are bad.

Go to the Dell website, enter your Service Tag number, and then download all the drivers, or have Dell install them online.

I would also see if the BIOS is not current, and update the BIOS if not the latest one.
Dell will list more drivers than you need, as they make all the drivers available for that model... you need to figger out which one is appropriate. If Dell does it, they will know.

Also, carefully inspect your ethernet cable at both ends. Look for bent or twisted wires on the plug. Look, also, for impact damage anywhere along the length of the ethernet cable. Sometimes somebody creams the cable by dropping a desk leg, a bag of wheat, or the tractor tool box, or a boat anchor, on the cable. Feel for the damage. Do not trust your eyes to discover cable damage. Replace the cable, or get somebody to replace the plugs.

If updating the drivers does not fix the problem, get a very strong light and a large magnifying glass to inspect the socket for bent wires or other visable damage. If you see any damage, you will need to disable that device in the BIOS, and install a new PCI ethernet card.

Good luck. Come back for chapter two

it seems you onboard network adaptor is not working, maybe try with an other to resolve the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back