Internet on 2 PCs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

poteljito

So i have 2 PCs, and since i bought the new one i neglected the old one. So when i bought it I just connected the router to the new PC. So now I want to connect the old one too. So my ISP service told me that since it's this time of the year that i would have to wait a little more for them to set it up. The other solution is to buy a wireless router, so they suggested linksys WRT54G. So i was wondering since I'm a total newb in that area, how do i connect 2 PCs to it?

im sure your isp supported you with a modem, link that modem to a router with at least 2 ethernet outputs, its rather a simple solution.

If the router has only one ethernet connection, you could get yourself a simple ethernet switch with, say, four or five ports, and connect the router and both of your PCs to that.

That's how I had my network configured until I bought a new four-port router. My switch was a five-port D-Link but such devices should be available from any common network hardware manufacturer.

no, NOT A SWITCH -- you need a router. If you use the switch, you'll just need to wait for your ISP OR cause lan shutdown due to duplicate IP addresses.

From the modem, connect the wire to the new router WAN port and your PCs to an LAN port -- quite trivial and no ISP assistance required :)

Ok so i have the new wireless router. And it' not quite working. So here's the deal. I plug the old modem to the new router and from the new router to my first PC. And that's ok. But i can't connect the second PC since it doesn't have the right port. Do i need some kind of a ethernet card for the second old PC? Oh please help.:rolleyes:

Ok so i have the new wireless router. And it' not quite working. So here's the deal. I plug the old modem to the new router and from the new router to my first PC. And that's ok. But i can't connect the second PC since it doesn't have the right port. Do i need some kind of a ethernet card for the second old PC? Oh please help.:rolleyes:
Port? First, Wire the 2nd pc to the router. View network Connections->right click on Lan Connection->Properties
Scroll down to TCP/Ip->click Properties button.

enable Automatic IP and DNS, click ok

wait 30 seconds, then run->cmd /k ipconfig /all

you should have an IP address, gateway address (which is the router) and DNS addresses (2 of them)

No no let me clear it up. So i connect the first PC to the router. I can't connect the second PC because i don't have the right port. Ok imagine the wire that should connect the second PC and the router. A is the part where i plug the wire in to the router. B is the end where i plug the wire in to the second PC. Now i don't have the right port on my second PC (it's 6 years old). I don't have any kind of network card in it. Should i buy one and put it in the old PC and than connect it to the new router. I think i should take a picture it would be best.

AHHH! There's no RJ45 slot to use for the connection!

Your choices are:
  1. add a PCI Nic card
  2. add a WiFi Nic card
  3. use a USB -> Ethernet (or WiFi) adaptor
(3) would require a USB slot on the old pc and that's likely to be missing too :(

I dislike option(3), but if you added a PCI USB device, that would allow you to connect
many more devices without extra expense.
The USB->XXX adaptors all require special drivers.

If the machine is slow, low memory, and not running at least Win/XP, you might want to
save more $$$ and just upgrade (ie replace) the whole system.

no, NOT A SWITCH -- you need a router.
I don't think so; from the original post, I conclude that he has a router. If I understand correctly, the router is connected to the internet (DSL or cable, I guess), and it has one ethernet (RJ45) port to connect it to the local network.

Thus, he can connect the ethernet port of the router to a computer, to create a local area network that has just one computer. OR he can connect the ethernet port of the router to a switch, and connect one or more computers to the remaining ports on the switch. Each computer will get its own IP address on the local network, and the router will act as the internet gateway for the local network (i.e., for all of the computers); the router will be assigned one externally visible IP address (on the internet). The whole local area network will be seen as one "computer" (i.e., one IP address) from the point of view of the internet.

This IS how I worked until I bought a new multiple-port router--it really is!

Yes, there must be one router in the network.
A switch may then be added downstream from it, as the router will still provide DHCP services (wired or wireless doesn't matter).

The OP follow-up shows the 2nd pc has no network connectivity and THAT's the issue to be solved :)

Well my router has 4 RJ45 ports so there's no need for a switch. Just got to go and buy a WLAN USB adapter right? Well thanks for your help. :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back