Internet Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well when I go to view a site with real player content, flash, and some other things I dont know it has an illegal operation and freezes can anyone tell me whats causing this to happen?

EDIT: This is the computer in my living room running Windows 98 SE

I am trying to think what all those have in common. One thing I might suggest trying is reinstalling Windows Media Player and Real Audio, and your video or audio drivers. Without more information I am not really sure what the problem could be. This kind of thing is a bit hard to diagnose without being in front of the computer. Assuming you have already tried to restart your computer :-D.

Hm.. those are my suggestions. Let me know if that works, if not I will think a little bit deeper.

If you run a firewall, such as Norton's, it will have some advanced options like 'disable flash', 'disable animations', 'disable scripts', etc.

If you've recently installed a firewall, play arround with it, as it can be the cause to your problem.

Reinstalling Windows is always a big help :D. Doesn't always fix the problem, but I've sure fixed a lot of problems doing it.

You may want to consider upgrading from Windows 98. That might be a large problem. Dont go for ME though, for most people it causes more problems than anything. I suggest Windows 2000, and if possible XP. Windows 2000 is by far one of the most stabile OS's I've ever used.

Windows 98 is the best for systems that can't reach the 1GHz speed.

So, if you run a slow computer, and want to install XP, say "Hello lag."

Why spend $60 for 98SE when you can get XP upgrade for $90?

.. Other than maybe your system doesn't have enough muscle.

If you don't feel a need to upgrade, then you certainly don't have to, but I would suggest starting, because sooner or later M$ will drop support for 98 like they just dropped support for 95.
This is just my thoughts. If you are comfortable with 98 then stay with it, but I'd be looking ahead soon.

If your PC runs 98 comfortably then you should have no problem running 2000. XP might be a different story. 2000 and XP both are MUCH more stable than their predecessors.

What are you system spec's? Processor speed, RAM, and hard drive space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back