Internet randomly cuts out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I have this problem where my internet cuts off for about 10 seconds whenever it feels like it. Could be five minutes could be a couple of hours. It will disconnected me from ventrilo and re-connect me straight aay and will throw me out of any game i am currently playing (connection lost). This problem was temporarily fixed but has recently popped up. I am with virgin media and have 10mb/s broadband. I have recently got wireless and i got a complementery wireless connector with it and was fine. This problem hasn't only come up now but has come up for about a year now and passes and goes. I need help to get rid of this problem so i can play without fear of losing connection.

Thanks

BIOMOTH

Hi,

How recently did you install the new wireless router? If it was within the last 10 days, you are likely to be within the ADSL Max 'training' period (assuming you are in the UK on ADSL not cable).

Historically, it sounds like you may have a line problem or something locally affecting your line stability, eg. bad filter, interference from an appliance or outside lighting, etc..

Can you access your router logs? There maybe some clues in them.

Good luck,

Taff.

For gaming online, I would not like to use a wireless connection, especially if it has security enabled, this only adds to your 'lag', giving longer ping times.

if it was within the last 10 days, you are likely to be within the ADSL Max 'training' period (assuming you are in the UK on ADSL not cable).

The wireless router was installed about 5 days ago now and my pc is connected to a modem which uses it to connect so bascially, my pc doesn't use wireless; that is for the XBOX upstairs. I rang up virgin media so many times and they deny any fault and i have also had at least 5 techies come round and try to fix this problem.
Can you access your router logs? There maybe some clues in them.

I'm not sure how to do that. I don't know much about networking and that

Cheers for helping me out. Appreciate it so much

The wireless router was installed about 5 days ago now and my pc is connected to a modem which uses it to connect
So for the next 5 days, you could still be within the training period, with brief loss of connection expected anyway (in my experience, these rarely happen inside 'normal' working hours).

Hmm, now I need some clarification about how you connect ^^

Which is connected to your 'phone line, router or modem?

Can I ask for the model numbers of those devices and Operating System and Service Pack level on your PC?

Which is connected to your 'phone line, router or modem?

My modem is connected to the phone line which then goes to the wireless router.

The modem is a standard virgin media modem and the wireless router is a netgear and says: G router WGR614

I have Vista and it is at service pack 1.

If it helps, the ready light goes off and starts flashing then comes back on within 10 seconds. It's not the same problem as i had previoulsy earlier in the year.

.If it helps, the ready light goes off and starts flashing then comes back on within 10 seconds.

This sounds like either you are going through the ADSL training period again or, possibly your USB connection is dropping, maybe because the modem is trying to draw too much power or your PC power supply is being stressed - I may be wrong on both guesses.

If it's the former, you'll have to wait five days for your line to be steady.

If it's the latter, your system event logs in Windows Management may have some error messages which would enable us to troubleshoot further.

I'd keep a written log of the times that it resets your line, noting any differences in line speed by using a speed tester such as the one at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html If you register there, you can store your test results and see them as a graph, download them as a spreadsheet, etc..

I'm hoping someone else will chip in, I'm not sure if I've missed something here ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back