TechSpot

Internet slowed and popups

By Teh JeY
Jul 16, 2008
  1. Yay, spyware infection. Also, for some reason, my keyboard acts up when typing on an IE page... never offline, though.

Unfortunetly, due to being impatient, I screwed up and missed a tickbox for a "search bar" when installing a program... and got infected. 5 different scanners didn't fix this, and I have no clue how to do it manually.

HJT log attatched.

Thanks.

EDIT: Took some time to read your stickies. SUPERantiSpyware is doing a complete scan now, when that's done, I have to run combo fix. Finish the steps, and post a log. Though it seems super antispayware is finding a lot on it's own that my 5 other scans failed... all Ad-aware found was tracking cookies, nothing that would fix the problem...

Sorry, I should've read stickies before posting.

2. Teh JeY

Teh JeY TS Rookie Topic Starter

I think combofix did the trick :O

no loading-buzzing from my computer as much, keyboard seems to be normal, popups haven't come up yet... slightly lack of speed might be cause by temp. internet files deletion, which I have no problem agaisnt.

Of course, please check my logs.
    (newlog is HJT)

3. Blind Dragon

Blind Dragon TS Evangelist Posts: 3,908

First - did you install mIRC yourself?

Next - I would also run MBAM because of the number of infections found with SAS

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

• [​IMG] Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here
    • Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
    • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to
      • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
      • and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • then click Finish.
    • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
    • Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
    • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
    • Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
    • When completed, a log will open in Notepad. please attach this log with your reply
      • If you accidently close it, the log file is saved here and will be named like this:
      • C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\mbam-log-date (time).txt

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Update your Java Runtime Environment
    • First try going to Start -> Control Panel -> double click Java
    • Select the Update Tab at the top of the Java console
    • Click the Check for Updates button at the bottom
    • If it finds the newer version (Java 6 Update 7) Follow the on screen instructions (uncheck the yahoo toolbar option)
    • After it installs the newest version Go back to Control Panel -> Add/remove programs (programs and features in vista)
    • Uninstall any older versions of Java

If for some reason you couldn't update through the above instructions.
    Update your Java Runtime Environment
    • Click the following link
      Java Runtime Environment 6 Update 7
    • The 5th option down is the one you want (click Download)
    • Check the box to agree to terms of service
    • Check the box for your operating system and click 'Download selected'at the bottom
    • After the install Go to Start-> Control Panel-> add/remove programs (Programs and features), and uninstall any old versions
    • Navigate to C:\programfiles\Java -> delete any subfolders except the jre1.6.0_07 folder

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Please attach a the MBAM log and a new hijackthis scanned after everything else

4. Teh JeY

Teh JeY TS Rookie Topic Starter

There's an Error: 404 "Page does not exist" In your link to the scanner.

Java is updated. Please post an updated link for your reccomended scanner.

5. Blind Dragon

Blind Dragon TS Evangelist Posts: 3,908

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.