Internet speed -- 30Mb worth it?

Mister_K

Hey guys just a quick question about internet speed.

I recently changed from 10Mb internet speed as we were paying around £40.74 a month with Virgin Media (M+ TV, M Phone and M Broadband which is 2Mb-10Mb but it was basic 10Mb most of the times) and upgraded to 30Mb for £4 cheaper.

Now my question is, will I see any difference in latency when gaming? I currently have 20-60MS when playing on EU servers and around 140-200MS when playing on the US servers. When SWTOR (Star Wars the Old Republic) I will be joining a US guild/crew/clan which will be playing on the US servers so I was hoping that the 30Mb package will give me around stable 50-100MS when playing on the US servers.

I would think there wouldn't be huge difference since anything over XX/Mbps download speed would be waste, guess the only benefit I will probably have is increase in the upload speed which was 1Mb on the 10Mb connection and now 3Mb on the new 30Mb connection.

Will be getting the Superhub this Wednesday, still stuck on 10Mb :(

Hope you can help, thanks in advance :)

Bump sauce, anyone? :) Will there be any difference in ping from 10Mb to 30Mb?

___

Edit

Just got my 30Mb setup and I tell you that there isn't much difference in the ping when gaming, maybe roughly 10ms at max due to the upload speed being higher. But downloading videos, music etc... is 3x as fast which is great! :p So far SuperHub is doing ok, no problems aroused but within 2hours already downloaded 1GB 244MB of Data (but 2 pcs running so hence why I guess).

30mb makes a huge difference over 10mb in pretty much all demanding situations, including gaming. When I played with the regulars here in our weekly Fragfest's whilst using 10mb briefly I noticed a substantial increase in ping count, and the connection struggled with the US based servers.

In comparison, I previously had 50mb, and now have 30mb, and they are considerably better, though the increase upload speeds certainly help as well. Personally, I find 50mb a much better experience due to the lack of traffic management (50/100mb are unmanaged), but the cost was a deciding factor when downgrading to reduce costs.

BTW, I'm a user of Virgin Media fibre-optic broadband too. :)

I pay a lot of 30mb down with power boost makes it near 40mb down. With 10mb up. They do offer 50mb for a premium. I am not paying for it. I use to have the old dial-up years ago. Today high speed comes in handy to stream 1080p in HD to Android Tablets, desktops and laptops. Gig Internet is coming so that should be interesting but the price would have to be low though. I can't see spending too much for it.

Back