TechSpot

Internet speed confusion

By Dat1Gamer
Mar 12, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Hey guys I just got a new modem and ii was geting 2Mb's down and like 0.10kb/s up, And since I got my modem they said im gonna get 4Gb download for web pages its the same time..... only my speed has went up http://www.speedtest.net/result/2568698551.png

2. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,021   +913

What is your question here my friend. Why did this occur?

3. Dat1Gamer

Dat1Gamer TS Booster Topic Starter Posts: 135

Okay, My old modem could only handle 1GB download for web pages but my new modem can handle 4GB down for pages But only my speed has went up its still the same time for the pages and im wondering why if they said that they would load faster but it doesnt

4. JC713

Upload/Download speeds dont matter when it comes to loading web ages, unless your internet is super slow. Web pages transfer small amounts of data, it was made like this so you dont need a very fast internet speed.What browser are you using?

5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,446   +324

You bandwidth is controlled directly by your ISP and then only indirectly by the hardware you have purchased.

6. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Posts: 5,305   +238

I agree. My 1st 7+ years was on dial up & even google earth worked great.

UNKNOWN9122 likes this.
  7. Dat1Gamer

Dat1Gamer TS Booster Topic Starter Posts: 135

Firefox

8. JC713

Ok, you should be fine then, your speed seems to be enough to enjoy the web.
    Edit: Delete your history and cache if you havent done so recently, then you may see a difference.

uniqboy likes this.
  9. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,473   +622

That's a pretty good Speedtest result. I'd say it's the particular web pages you're browsing on - they can only load so fast.

10. JC713

The server provider may not be up to par with modern architecture.

11. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,446   +324

Less anyone forget, the ISP uses QoS to control the client's bandwidth :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.