Invalid IP Address

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trintar VIII

Hi, I've got a problem with my IP address on my computer. When trying to sign into Messenger, I get an "invalid IP address" error, though sometimes that goes through okay and it says my Gateway is offline. I've tried renewing the IP address in the command prompt and get an error saying something along the lines of "DHCP timed out"...I've scanned for spyware/adware in normal and safe mode with Spybot, Ad-Aware, and Ewido with nothing coming up that changes anything. If someone could help, that'd be great.

First. What kind of internet connection do you have? We want all the details including the type (cable/DSL) and any devices used (modems/routers/interface cards).

Second. On the Windows command prompt run "ipconfig /all" and paste the output here.

I'm on a line at the University...which I'm sure is either cable or T1. I have a router splitting my computer as well as my roommates. His still works fine and I've tried hooking mine directly up to the jack. My ethernet is on-board on my motherboard and the computer recognizes that it's plugged in, I just cannot access anything on the internet. But when I try the ipconfig/renew command, I get this error:

"An error occured while renewing interface Local Area Connection: unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out."

Attachments

• ipconfig - all.zip
    564 bytes · Views: 19
Sounds like your TCP/IP might be damaged in Windows.

To fix this, repairing your Winsock might work. You can do so by opening the command shell (Start > Run > cmd.exe) and type netsh winsock reset and restart your computer. This command only works in Windows XP with service pack 2 installed.

Alternatively, you can use a program such as WinsockXP http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html, which makes the process fool-proof.

OK. So your computer is not getting an IP address..
Is it supposed to get one automatically?
Is your roommate's computer set to receive IP automatically via DHCP?

Is the ethernet cable OK? Try another cable in another port on the router.

Do you have any software firewalls? What happens if you disable these?

Is the DHCP Client service running?

Could it be that some MAC address filtering is enabled on the router?

My IP address is okay now, it says my default gateway is offline now. I have my computer set to automatically get an IP address, which seems to be okay, I just need to put my gateway online again. How can I know if my DHCP Client service is running? And I've used this router the last few weeks and everything was fine, my computer just stopped loading pages while I was surfing online.

Trintar VIII said:
My IP address is okay now, it says my default gateway is offline now. I have my computer set to automatically get an IP address, which seems to be okay, I just need to put my gateway online again. How can I know if my DHCP Client service is running? And I've used this router the last few weeks and everything was fine, my computer just stopped loading pages while I was surfing online.

What's your IP address? Allow me to guess... ;) 169.254.xxx.xxx?

If your IP address looks like the one above, this still indicates you cannot contact your DHCP server. After about a minute of waiting for a DHCP server to hand you an IP, Windows will assign you an APIPA (Automatic Private IP Address). This is bad news, because its not what we want; We want your DHCP server to give you an address.

This would explain why still don't have a gateway address. Gateways often act as DHCP servers too and if your school is set up like this, it wouldn't make sense to not have a gateway/router address, but have a DHCP assigned IP. Check your friend's networking info for router and gateway IPs and use his/hers as a reference.

How can I know if my DHCP Client service is running?
Your IPCONFIG results say your DHCP service is enabled.

So I just take what he has for his info and then just tweak the numbers? And yes, my address is 169.something something.

EDIT: Yes, my DHCP client service is running.

I'm still having troubles with this, does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks for the help thus far, I really appreciate it, I just want my connection going again.

For troubleshooting, let's make sure you always connected the cable directly from your computer to the University's network jack.

Your computer isn't getting a DHCP address and this means your connection to the DHCP server is simply not working. I'm very sure this is not a hardware problem. It could be software, but I can't explain it short of a firewall or some other method of network filtering (like hosts in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc\). Another possible idea I have is to set your network speed manually. I've seen bugs with adapters where auto negotiation can cause simliar issues. You can do so by entering device manager and double clicking on your network adapter. There will be an advanced tab where you can choose 10mbps, 100mbps etc.. 100mbps @ full duplex is probably the best setting, but try different ones like half-duplex and 10mbps etc.. Any luck?

I understand your computer looks very guilty because your friend can cannot, but can you verify your computer works with another network so we can make certain your computer is blame?

You mentioned you have a router. Is it really a router? Or it is a hub or switch? Since plugging directly into the University doesn't work, we know the router isn't to blame, but I'm still interested in how have you configured it? If you are familiar with your router config, can you disconnect it from the University network, enable its DHCP server and see if your computer can get an address from your own router? This would be an interesting test.

Rick said:
What's your IP address? Allow me to guess... ;) 169.254.xxx.xxx?

If your IP address looks like the one above, your IP is still not valid. After about a minute of waiting for a DHCP server to hand you an IP, Windows will assign you an APIPA (Automatic Private IP Address).
Be precise Rick, you know better -- it is VALID but just not very useful.
Our choice of words can easily send a newbe off into left field with a lot of
waisted time and effort.

Trintar VIII,
do you have room to add a PCI NIC to your system? If you do, turn off the on-board NIC and install the PCI NIC and see if your Internet connection is restored

jobeard said:
Be precise Rick, you know better -- it is VALID but just not very useful.
Our choice of words can easily send a newbe off into left field with a lot of
waisted time and effort.

It's true... I've been a bad techie... :(

Joberd is correct. What I meant was its invalid for our purposes.

I'll change the post to avoid confusing anyone later.

Hi. I need help. I have the exact same problem with my IP address and Default Gateway. IP address at the moment is invalid. and my Default gateway is sometimes offline. Sometimes theres even something wrong with the key ports. It has been like this a long time. I have DSL, its a home computer. Stationary and my Internet provider is Adelphia. I called them and they didn't fix the problem. I was told to do the ipconfig/release and renew but it was still signing me out of Messenger. Any ideas what it might be?

Thanks
Sarah

Sarah-754 said:
Hi. I need help. I have the exact same problem with my IP address and Default Gateway. IP address at the moment is invalid. and my Default gateway is sometimes offline. Sometimes theres even something wrong with the key ports. It has been like this a long time. I have DSL, its a home computer. Stationary and my Internet provider is Adelphia. I called them and they didn't fix the problem. I was told to do the ipconfig/release and renew but it was still signing me out of Messenger. Any ideas what it might be?

Thanks
Sarah

You need to reset your DSL router/modem's configuration. Can you get into the setup screen?

Originally Posted by Sarah-754
Hi. I need help. I have the exact same problem with my IP address and Default Gateway. IP address at the moment is invalid. My Default gateway is sometimes offline.

So how do you set or look at your Default Gateway and IP Address. Are you just using a DSL Modem, with no router?

You will need to contact Adelphia and tell them what the problem is, once again. This problem is caused by something between Adelphia and the modem. Your DSL Modem may be bad

I have a question...i am a 15 year boy whos sister has a computer problem with her internet connection...
i tried everything i could to fix it. Me and her share the same internet connection..its the linksys w/speedbooster usb drive connector. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back