Invisibility cloak closer with flexible 'metamaterial'

Archean

Invisibility cloak closer with flexible 'metamaterial'

Scientists in the UK have demonstrated a flexible film that represents a big step toward the "invisibility cloak" made famous by Harry Potter.

The film contains tiny structures that together form a "metamaterial", which can, among other tricks, manipulate light to render objects invisible.

If this could actually be done I guess the possibilities of its actual use may be interesting and 'dangerous' ;)

I can hear the clamor for these already, from flashers everywhere...!

Then there would be the brand specific advertising testimonials: "Begone Quickly", the invisibility cloak preferred by 9 out of 10 sex offenders!

Ladies shower-rooms in colleges, schools and universities would never be safe again with this technology! :haha:

Would be pretty cool.... but I wonder if you could use it to sneak up on someone official, then punch them in the nose and disappear all while being invisible? If so, our politians would get more than eggs thrown at them!

Don't they deserve that from time to time ?

Shower rooms aside, there are other more serious issues which may arise e.g. invisible / bank robbers ..... now they would surely like this; "stuff all that security tech you have at banks up your ***, I'm going to have all what I want and more, and you can't see me" :D, now think how can you prove Mr. X and Miss Y actually robbed the bank? They just need not to be dumb enough to leave finger prints though.

I have my doubts if it would be completely invisible though. Much like Predator did, there'll always be so tell tale signs that the observant would notice. Being invisible doesnt mean the environment around you is, so given those variables its impossible to be completely invisible.

For example, if you stood in a puddle, someone would see. If you had mud on your feet, someone would see as you walked by leaving a trail of muddy footprints behind.... It also wouldn't surprise me if slower speed cameras actually picked up on it as well, being slow to react to changes through the lense etc.

They deserve more than a good smack in my opinion. lol.

If this tech works out, I'm pretty sure the military will commandeer it. So, don't look forward to buying it at Walmart.

And then they'll screw up, but supporting some organization like Taliban + Osama bin Laden (like they did in the past, e.g. any one remember CIA + USA joint effort to get back their stinger missiles) .......... by providing them such kits as 'humanitarian aid' to defend their sovereignty against some evil invading army. We've been there before haven't we ? ;)

The Emperor's New Clothes......

To the upside, I don't think that any of Iran's F-14 Tomcats are still airworthy.

Anyhoo, I don't think that there's any need for Bin Laden to try and steal this tech, after all they can't find him while he's still visible. On second thought, he could use it to sneak terror tapes to Al-Jeezera in person.

As to the stingers, we've probably gotten most of them back, the hard way.

I think it is more likely that he may decide to invade Bagraam in person if he have this sort of tech; but I do agree he doesn't really need it either, as he can do that by staying visibly-invisible just as fine.

@Archean,

Its ever so slightly ironic that the Taliban fight the allied forces with weapons and arms, in part, funded and supplied by the good old CIA (among others)....

@Leeky
You can't blame simply the CIA; I'm absolutely sure governments on the day were also involved; now if they weren't; it means CIA is an 'rogue & dangerously uncontrollable' entity; in such case how you differentiate between them and the other bard guys.

@Archean,

I did say among others. Its usually the CIA that recieves the broad end of the sword, but I'm not naive enough to believe they were alone in these actions.

Regardless of who is (or was) involved, it is still very ironic that they fight back at the allies with munitions paid for by those now fighting them.

Not being American, I can't really grasp the full powers and the invisible aspect of there work for the USA. I guess they are much like MI-6 over here, or maybe MI-5, I'm not really sure.

Regardless of the names of the agencies and the faces which may or may not know, it is as they call it the 'great game' amongst the biggest empires of our time. Afghanistan and the likes are just 'pawns' being used to achieve a greater end for their masters.

Anyway, lets get back to invisibility thing, one very good application can be to be able to drive invisibly ....... hmm I'm sure you can't get a ticket that way :D

Back