Iomega Prestige external hard drive stopped working

Hi
I am using a iomega prestige external hard drive. I have uses this for years with no problem. All of a sudden it as stopped working. It shows up in the listed devices but is inaccessible. It shows up as drive e in the device management. I have assigned another drive letter but with no success. I have removed and reinstalled with no success. It just will not show up in the my computer part. The drive makes no noise and the light does not flash but is receiving power. When I removed the item it did reinstall again no joy. I am now worrying as I have important data on it. My virus scanner also recognises the device and when I run this it finds nothing to scan. Can anyone help?

Use the Disk Manager to view the partition - - there should be some info if you click on the device. If not, the partition damaged.

The drive makes no noise and the light does not flash but is receiving power. When I removed the item it did reinstall again no joy.

Please clarify for me:
Do you mean no noise as in no noise? Or does it spin up just doesn't make any bad/unusual noises?

You removed it.. What do you mean? Did you physically take the hard drive itself out of the enclosure? If so - if you are using a desktop computer, or know someone who is, connect your drive to the desktop computer internally and see what happens.

Back