TechSpot

Iomega server showing as media device

By pigeon
Jan 7, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hello,
    I am using a Sony Vaio loaded with Windows 7 to try to connect, via my home wireless, to an Iomega home server. My other old laptop (running XP) just shows the Iomega as a normal file server, with folders and all my documents etc. Unfortunately the Vaio is only showing the Iomega as a 'Media Device' (in the network and sharing center).. and because of this, it will only open windows media player when I try to access it. How can I stop the server from showing up as a media device?
    As a start (and after reading another forum post), I disabled the media streaming service within windows media player network sharing service.. but this hasn't worked.

Thanks..

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

Right-click on the iomega server icon and select "properties" See if you can change the device type

3. pigeon

pigeon TS Rookie Topic Starter

Hi, yes I did check for such a thing.. but unfortunately this isnt an option that is available (i.e. being able to change device type).

4. pigeon

pigeon TS Rookie Topic Starter

ok..Problem solved. I typed \\[IP address of the Iomega drive] in to the Windows Explorer address bar. That has forced it to show the folders within the server normally.

5. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

Thanks for the tip :)