iOS 4.1 security hole allows using the iPhone when it's locked

By Emil
Oct 26, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Scshadow

Scshadow TechSpot Maniac Posts: 304   +25

All so worried about keeping Iphones from being jailbroken, Apple leaves this vulnerability wide open. Great job Apple. Why don't you start spending less time protecting your bottom line and spend more time protecting your consumer. And Apple continues to be on my ban list. I will not buy an apple product.
  2. Cueto_99

Cueto_99 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 237   +11

So... My passcode is there just to annoy me everytime I wake up the phone from sleep mode... Apple, you should give out rewards to people who find these kind of security issues like this one, and maybe start a program like Mozilla did some time ago...
  3. princeton

princeton TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,716

I never use a passcode. I just plan on having my iphone embedded in my arm.
  4. bakape

bakape TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 123

Is this really a bug? Sounds more like an 'easter egg' or cheat code.
    up down down left right A B B to unlock Flash :)
  5. princeton

princeton TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,716

APPLE! Please do. Flash on my iphone would rock!
  6. frodough

frodough Newcomer, in training Posts: 90

Apple is mostly looks, it's like a glass case with a lock and they expect you to store things in it which people do because apple tells them it's super safe... but it's glass case...sigh
  7. bakape

bakape TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 123

Yes! A glass case that shatters :)
  8. kaonis92

kaonis92 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 117

Why can't they just release a hotfix like 4.1.1 or something instead of waiting until 4.2 is ready?
  9. posermobile89

posermobile89 Newcomer, in training Posts: 72

What I find more severe is the fact you can completely reformat an iPhone even if it has a passcode, which should allow for activition if the SIM card is in. No idea how iPhone activation works though...
  10. Besides these things apple is releasing new softwares
  11. klepto12

klepto12 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,364   +9

Another apple blunder apple is one company i don't trust and wish they would go under lol. Lets see they make a phone that is messed up and then blame the customer.
  12. Also, don't forget they made a tablet with wifi issues and blamed the consumer's routers.

I honestly wouldn't pick on Apple so much if they weren't so stuck up about how perfect their products are. So I can't help but laugh at their misfortunes.

13. oasis789

oasis789 Newcomer, in training Posts: 51

good job apple, making theft easier and easier...
  14. xanthic42

xanthic42 Newcomer, in training

That seems like a pretty obvious case that should have been checked by QA. "What happens when we hardlock the phone to interrupt an emergency call?"
  15. AppleFanboy

AppleFanboy Newcomer, in training

You don't know what you're missing out on.:(
  16. Eddo22

Eddo22 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 134

"Another apple blunder apple is one company i don't trust and wish they would go under lol."

I agree. I can't stand Apple and their owners tick me off. Apple is better than..blah blah blah.
  17. Faller

Faller Newcomer, in training

Not a big apple fan but it'll be fun to mess with my machead friend. At least he's not pretentious about it.
  18. ajd007

ajd007 Newcomer, in training

This reminds me of the windows 95 hack that let you login to the computer without knowing the password.
  19. fadownjoo

fadownjoo Newcomer, in training Posts: 64

im just tired of apple, im either moving to android or win mo 7 next phone.
  20. fritz123

fritz123 Newcomer, in training Posts: 56

wow idk how apple overlooked this flaw. for the pricetag on their gadgets, they should protect their users from these kinds of vulnerabilities.

lets go steal an iphone. haha kidding
  21. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,364   +260

Just tried it on my iPhone 3GS (fully updated) and indeed this works! just showed the guys at work and since the office is full of iPhones it is now causing a bit of a stire :)
  22. XnaX

XnaX Newcomer, in training Posts: 39

Oh, but I do.. And it's not worth it..
  23. Davidoff

Davidoff TechSpot Member Posts: 46

apple: not good
  24. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,199   +229

Yeah - I've been showing this off at work too. Most of the folks here are saying, "who cares? Who said their stuff was secure anyway?" Guess I'm the only one really worried about people making calls to my CIO from my phone.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.