iOS 5.1.1 untethered jailbreak tool released, supports 4S, iPad 3

Rick

Staff

News of an untethered jailbreak for Apple's iPhone OS 5.1.1 has been circulating for at least several days, but this morning iOS hackers managed to release the fruits of their labor: Greenpois0n's Absinthe 2.0.x. If you're curious, the press release (yes, a press release) can be found here. The untethered jailbreak tool works on virtually all iPhones and nearly all iPads, including the iPhone 4S, iPad 2 and the iPad 3. The tool does require that the device already have 5.1.1 loaded, so make sure your iOS device is up to date before beginning.

The blog post claims it's "so easy your grandma could do it", but there do exist a couple of caveats to this release, aside from the usual dangers.

Firstly, it almost works for all iOS devices -- almost. Over the past few days, support for newer devices has been continually added and tested. Although the list of supported devices is indeed extensive, Greenpois0n's website explicitly warns users that Absinthe 2.0 will not work for AppleTV 3. Other sources are also reporting that Absinthe has one more problem area: the newly updated iPad 2. Also known as "iPad 2,4", the tablet is a rehashed version of the iPad 2 with a lower price and a new 32nm processor.

Secondly, the target device must be running 5.1.1. Absinthe 2.0.x works on this version exclusively so if you're running an older version of iOS, you'll need to update first.

For those of you already running iOS 5.1.1 with a tethered jailbreak, you can snip the cord by checking out Rocky Racoon 5.1.1 Untether tool at CydiaHelp. 

Absinthe 2.0 is currently available for a variety of platforms, including Mac OS X (Leopard and up), Windows (XP or newer) and Linux.

Permalink to story.

I did this to my 3rd gen iPad and works perfectly. Took less than 5 minutes to complete! Even took video of it.

Very easy jailbreak. Love how you don't have to fight with DFU mode at all! The only issue I had was when all was said and done my Contacts.app went missing. Other then that all was good.

Not working on my iPad 2 WiFi with 5.1.1 on W7 Enterprise (administrator rights)

Program keeps crashing for some reason

Thank you so much. You are genious. I just jailbroken my device. It works perfectly.

I jailbroke it then turned it off then back on and it doesnt have most of the factory apps like settings messenging or calling or any of that idk what to do!!!

I bought my iPad 2 at Best Buy last Nov. Is it the 2,4?
How do I know or check if my device is 2,4 or not?

Anyone who failed to jailbreak, they should get instead Absinthe 2.0.1. they have fixed error messages like:

- Something seems to have gone wrong… trying to recover
- No Cydia icon after Absinthe Jailbreak
- No Reboot after Absinthe Jailbreak

I suggest updating the links in this post though. they are initially dead.

help!! absinthe 2.0 doesn't read my device.. please help, I want to jailbreak my ipad2!

I have 3gs 5.1.1 bb 5.16.05, untethered JB through rocky racoon, but no service :( , please help, dont want to loose my gps, so no ipad bb, is there any other way ? thnx

Back