IP address changing on its own causes printer to stop working

This is my first post and I want to begin by saying that I am not very tech savvy, although I am the default computer "expert" (yikes!) in our house as my husband has never used a computer.

The problem I am having is that IP addresses within our wireless network are changing on their own quite frequently. This causes the network printer to stop working. Interestingly, sometimes the IP addresses switch (ie, the IP address for my laptop changes to the IP address that the printer had last week, etc). I know this to be true because I have a "cheat sheet" of steps I follow from Brother (our printer manufacturer) which includes the steps of obtaining the IP address for the computers and the printer on the network and then pinging the printer. I have recorded the IP address on that sheet for each computer and printer IP address and I am constantly having to cross them out and change them.

Is this frequent IP address change normal? Is there a way to establish permanent IP addresses? If not (or if that isn't desirable) is there some way to stop the constant effects it has on the network printer?

Thank you for your help with this issue!

Yes this can be resolved two ways
Address reservation and Static IP address assignment.

The former is much easier but I need the make/model number of your router to give HOW-TO details - - -

Yes I have to agree with the prior member. Set it to static IP and also change the Router to see it as static IP also. Don't do DHCP just causes issues.

Router Information

Thank you so much for your reply.

My router is: Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router with Speed Booster

Model #: WRT54GS Ver. 6

I appreciate your help!

Theresa

The stock Linksys firmware does not support "static
DHCP", "reserved DHCP", "reserved leases", "Pre-assigned DHCP", or
whatever it's called this week.
Basically this says the easy approach will not work and we need to take one of two others.
a) create a static IP address on the printer and ensure the router does not use it in the assignments
b) load alternative firmware (eg dd-wrt) which will give us back the easy technique obscured by linksys.​
How comfortable are you with fussing with settings? There may be some give-n-take here,
as the printer may not be user friendly in setting the IP stuff.

PS: Make/model of thed printer?

[edit]there's a discussion on Brother IP settings here
[/edit]

you can also try browsing to the ipaddress that the printer currently has. most printers have an onboard web server that you can connect to configure. there will most likely be a seting in there that is configured to obtain address from dhcp change this to to a static assignment. which printer is it.

Printer info

Jobeard,
The printer is a Brother MFC-7840W. As to my comfort level, I am getting more and more daring out of necessity. I have upgraded memory, replaced my keyboard and ridden family computers of various viruses that managed to sneak by our anti-virus software. I set up our family computers, connected them to our network and connected our printer. Mind you, it takes me 10 times longer than it would most anyone else, but I managed to get it done. If you walk me through, I'll gladly try out any suggestions.
Thanks again!

Brucethetech,
I'd gladly try your suggestion, but I would need a little more detailed instruction, please.

the printer network guide is here

First thing you need is your router and system IP addresses:
Get a command prompt (start -> run->cmd) and enter ipconfig /all

your router is at Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.x.y

your system is at IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.a.b

the other thing is to control your router so as to not assign an ip address which duplicates any other device. This is done by
  • access the router config page
  • set the DHCP range to 2-20
then we can set the printer at an address like 192.168.x.100

See if you can manage the router change and get back to us ...

Progress

Well, I changed the setting on the printer to static, but couldn't figure out what to do on the router. So far, so good, so that might be enough. It has only been 1 day, though, so the router might throw a monkey wrench into things soon. If I still need to reset the router, could you please give me a little more guidance? I don't know how to access the router config page or set the DHCP range.
Thanks!
Theresa

What is your system's IP address and what address did you set in the printer?

IP address info

My Default Gateway is: 192.168.1.1
My IP address is: 192.168.1.103 (It is not set at static and HAS changed on it's own in
the past. I don't know if that matters or if it can or should be set to static.)
The Printer's IP address is: 192.168.1.102 ("Set manually" is next to the address on the
network config printout from the computer and the Boot Method is now
listed as "STATIC".)

I still need to reset my younger daughter's computer so it can talk to the printer again since the change. Her computer IP address has been known to change on its own as well. Between my computer, my younger daughter's computer and the printer the IP addresses have switched around but have always been 192.168.1.100, 192.168.1.101, 192.168.1.102, or 192.168.1.103.

Between my computer, my younger daughter's computer and the printer the IP addresses have switched around but have always been 192.168.1.100, 192.168.1.101, 192.168.1.102, or 192.168.1.103.
This tells us that the router has its DHCP range set to 100->X

move your printer to say 192.168.1.10 (below the dhcp first value).

you will not get conflicts and any system can be booted in any sequence and the printer will always be found at 192.168.1.10

Back