TechSpot

iPad 2 Smart Cover security flaw detailed

By Shawn Knight
Oct 21, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. A security flaw on the iPad 2 allows you to circumvent the passcode and access the last open app on Apple’s tablet. The hack requires iOS 5, an iPad 2…

Read the whole story

2. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,270   +91

Pardon my language, but WHO THE **** goes trough all this trouble, just to find a a way to "semi-hack" an iPad 2 lock screen? Seriously, people have to do better thins with their time...

3. BabyFaceLee

BabyFaceLee TS Enthusiast Posts: 87   +22

So am I right in thinking this 'hack' will apply to any case that turns off the screen when it's shut?

4. Win7Dev

Win7Dev TS Evangelist Posts: 563   +172

I tend to think so, a Piece of cardboard or thick paper would probably work too, I'm don't remember if those cases have magnets in them or not.

5. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Evangelist Posts: 1,310   +56

Sounds like hacking a pay phone in the 90s, but that was simpler (only on some switches). You place the toll call, deposit the money when asked, talk for 2 1/2 minutes and hang up for about 2 seconds. The operator comes on and you tell her your done with the call. Then you'd hang up and, jackpot, the money would return. Worked with long distance calls, too. To fix it, att did away with long distance from pay phones then did away with pay phones altogether. Too big and out of control?

6. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,621   +376

"Pardon my language, but WHO THE **** goes trough all this trouble, just to find a a way to "semi-hack" an iPad 2 lock screen? Seriously, people have to do better thins with their time..."

Security analysts? Maybe someone stumbled upon it accidently?

7. Cota

Cota TS Enthusiast Posts: 513   +8

Yeah, it also reminds me to Captain Crunch times xD

8. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,011   +18

My friends just used tone generators.

9. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,270   +91

Security analysts? Do you even know what a security analyst does?

And this is clealry a systematic, step by step procedure. You don't go through all of this accidentally.

10. lawfer, it would seem you're missing the point. The point is there is a SECURITY threat.

Now, besides the point, someone may have accidentally stumbled across this breach and then started to try and replicate it. I'm surprised that you don't know (seeing how you dismissed Security Analysts) that in order to "fix" a security problem (this includes all software/firmware), you must first REPLICATE THE PROBLEM. This would mean a step by step process.