TechSpot

iPad 3 delayed due to poor Retina display yields

By Shawn Knight
Aug 16, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Apple’s iPad 3 has been pushed back to a 2012 release due to manufacturing issues with the tablet’s planned Retina display. DigiTimes is hearing that two supply partners for theā€¦

Read the whole story

2. bielius

bielius TS Booster Posts: 230   +14

Isheep comments, go go go!

3. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,537   +330

Does Apple make any of its own products? Or are they litterally all outsourced and made by other companys?

4. Panda218

Panda218 TS Enthusiast Posts: 102   +16

outsourced!

5. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,195   +751

Everyone outsources.... Your car was made in like 15 different countries. it's far cheaper and faster to buy a finished product from an expert than make your own. When the original iPod came out the company that made the tiny internal harddrive was the real hero of innovation. And we dont' even know who they are.

6. example1013

example1013 TS Enthusiast Posts: 280

Even most "made in America" products are just assembled here. It's quite rare to find a completely local supply chain, and most of those are organic and expensive.

7. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

Just go ahead and post "first", same difference.

8. mosu

mosu TS Enthusiast Posts: 312   +13

It looks like there won't be any more Samsung displays for Apple in the near future.However, for me and people my age a high resolution display is futile and does not justify.I can use a fullHD resolution of 1920x1080(1200) on a 12'' display, but 2048x1536 on a 9" screen it's too much even for Steve's eyesight.

9. mario

mario Ex-TS Developer Posts: 399   +17

For example, list of companies that outsource to Foxconn (China): Apple, Acer, Amazon.com, Asus, Intel, Cisco, Hewlett-Packard, Dell, Nintendo, Nokia, Microsoft and Sony Ericsson.

Apple doesn't manufacture most of its parts, but they do design or make special modification requests for a lot of their components. Apple's A4 and A5 chips used in iPhones and iPads are customized CPUs ?ARM Cortex? based on Apple's specifications.

A Retina Display iPad surely has been in the works for sometime, but the iPad 2 was announced just this year, and current iOS devices approximately have a gap of about a year before the next version is announced. If Apple releases an updated iPad this year I would say it would be an 'S' upgrade before christmas season, although I wouldn't bet on it, but with Apple who knows most of the rumors are fishy.

10. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Guru Posts: 802   +87

That's the way the new world order (bilderberg group) set it up so that each country would be reliant on central bankers to get what they need through trade outside their nations, hence creating a central bank world gov't

11. I still think the name Retina display is stupid. To bad their marketing people are so lame.

They should have called it the Crisp display. Get it!

Apple Crisp

12. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,691   +337

lol, that is why you don't work at Apple.

13. This is america. They should have called it the Perfect In Eye display.

Apple PIE.

14. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,537   +330

haha! now thats a new one on me ;)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.