iPad 3 is almost official: Apple invites media to March 7 event

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Apple has sent out invitations to a media event set to take place on Wednesday, March 7, 2012 at 10:00 am at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco, California. An image accompanying the invite shows an iPad with the phrase “We have something you really have to see. And touch.”

It is widely believed that Apple will unveil the next-generation iPad at the event as well as an upgraded Apple TV set-top box. More recent rumors have suggested that Apple could additionally unveil a new audio format with “adaptive streaming” that would adjust itself on-the-fly based on how much bandwidth is available when listening to tunes from iCloud.

apple ipad event part numbers suggest ipad

A new report from 9to5Mac has revealed part numbers for some of the iPad 3 models that we can expect to see next week. If accurate, there will be three different variants of the new iPad. J1 presumably corresponds to a Wi-Fi only model while J2 units will feature cellular capabilities, rumored to be 4G LTE. It is believed that the new Apple TV is codenamed J33.

In addition to the aforementioned 4G LTE capability, most believe that Apple’s next iPad will ship with a quad-core A6 processor and a ‘Retina Display’ featuring a resolution of 2,048 x 1,536. Other far-reaching rumors hint that we could see different size iPads to compete at various price points but I’d be surprised to see that happen anytime soon.

Permalink to story.

slh28 said:
A Retina display and they still can't fit more than 4 icons per row?
I forget the term, but the GUI of iOS devices doesn't scale by resolution. Hence why the UI on the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 look physically the exact same but the resolutions are drastically different. Maybe someone that's know what I'm trying to say can explain it further. I think it's mostly just a design decision to only have 4 icons per row.

Yes, everybody is waiting for the Ipad3 just like they waited for the Iphone 5.
And just like everybody got Iphone 4S, so is actually going to be Ipad 2S.
Haha, can you imagine how shocked is everybody going to be when they see that it is actually Ipad 2S?

Hopefully they make some DRASTIC improvments on the Ipad 3. I had an Ipad2 and gave it to a freind of mine. I like android tablets better. I do rather enjoy shoving a 32g
card in mine and doubling the available memory lol.
Alex they have only done the upgrades to phones where they put an S behind the name. The tech improvments have been minor when they do that, but its upgrades ppl want. They have stayed away from the "S" curse on most of their other products. Those they just do a "Generation" like with ipods. Ive read up on the Ipad3 reported specs and it looks like they will be including alot of new fetures, if what was leaked is true. But we will have to wait till March 7th to know for sure. Keep checking TechSpot, they always try and list any upgrades over last years model.

@slh28 is that what it takes to make you happy?

@alexandrionel does it matter what the denomination of a model number? I would figure the actual upgrades are more important that a couple extra numbers or letters. But to each there own i guess if that's important to you.

That is one good looking finger, hats off to Apple, they have definitely done it again!

In all seriousness though, I am freaking excited about this one, If the display rumors are true that is enough to make me buy one over other tablets.

That means my Phone has a retina display, my Tablet will, next to upgrade my computer to a better res over 1080p and my TV to 4K!

As a consumer the strength of Apple is the ability to visit a retail store and get personal help with whatever Apple product I have. With Microsoft planning to establish retail stores this may change the equation but there are 300+ locations established already and a history of customer satisfaction at retail to compete with. This will take some doing.

I know people were robbing trucks & people for PS3's. I just want to know if people are going to do that for IPad3's too?

What the exact configurations are to be on Wednesday

MC705LL/A - J1 GOOD A-USA BAG 16 G - wifi
MC706LL/A - J1 BETTER A-USA BAG 32 G - wifi
MC707LL/A - J1 BEST A-USA BAG 64 G - wifi

MD328LL/A - J1 GOOD B- USA BAG 16 G - wifi+
MD329LL/A - J1 BETTER B-USA
MD330LL/A - J1 BEST-B-USA

MD366LL/A - J2A GOOD A-USA
MD367LL/A - J2A BETTER A-USA
MD368LL/A - J2A BEST A-USA

MD369LL/A - J2A GOOD B-USA
MD370LL/A - J2A BETTER B-USA
MD371LL/A - J2A BEST B-USA

Is it possible they might differentiate by having one model with
dual core processor A5 and another line with the A6?

Nothing is for sure for another 100 hours or so.

As a consumer the strength of Apple is the ability to visit a retail store and get personal help with whatever Apple product I have. With Microsoft planning to establish retail stores this may change the equation but there are 300+ locations established already and a history of customer satisfaction at retail to compete with. This will take some doing.

Or it could turn out just like the Gateway stores.

UK to offer new distribution channel for iPad 3s

Apple was planning to open a retail store in London’s landmark Harrods store. Sources inside Harrods inform a plan to open Mid-March. Harrods sees nearly 300,000 visitors a good day.

This news nicely coincides with March 7th launch for iPad 3. New products are available within weeks of their introduction. Harrods location (kiosk/counter/store front) for Apple products opening is rumoured to be from 12th -19th of March.

This might dovetail nicely with the start of sales in the UK.

Some are dubbing this the St. Patrick's iPad, but the Vatican has offered no comment on the use of the name. Since this is an unofficial 'nickname' for the 3, legal sources say there is virtually no likelihood that this will deteriorate in a patent or trademark litigation battle with the Holy See.

What is a TechSpot Forces Special?

Code:
[CODE]Dare I ask?
[/CODE]
It's a Techspot Special Forces member, with the noun and the adjective arrayed in romance language sequence, instead of English convention.

Por ejemplo; "el carro rojo"......:rolleyes:

More likely these are just the two colour codes

MC705LL/A - J1 GOOD A-USA BAG 16 G - wifi
MC706LL/A - J1 BETTER A-USA BAG 32 G - wifi
MC707LL/A - J1 BEST A-USA BAG 64 G - wifi

MD328LL/A - J1 GOOD B- USA BAG 16 G - wifi+
MD329LL/A - J1 BETTER B-USA
MD330LL/A - J1 BEST-B-USA

MD366LL/A - J2A GOOD A-USA
MD367LL/A - J2A BETTER A-USA
MD368LL/A - J2A BEST A-USA

MD369LL/A - J2A GOOD B-USA
MD370LL/A - J2A BETTER B-USA
MD371LL/A - J2A BEST B-USA

Is it possible they might differentiate by having one model with
dual core processor A5 and another line with the A6?

Back