TechSpot

iPad backup location and lots of files..

1. Hello everyone,

This is more of an inquiry to satisfy my curiosity.

So....

I'm running Windows XP + iTunes b/c I have an iPad. iPad backups are stored in this folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

In the "Backup" folder there is a single folder with a long filename consisting of mixed alphanumerics. Within the folder with the long filename are 600+ files, with filenames consisting of mixed alphanumerics.

So here's the question: Do these 600+ files (ALL OF THEM) constitute the iPad backup?

Thanks,

-'Mage

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,516   +336

There are two readings of that question:
    1) are these file all of MY DATA?
    or
    2) is this a complete backup of the iPad system + my data?

The key to that answer is in the program used to create this "backup" ::- MobileSync
    The so called 'Sync' system(s) typically dupicate USER DATA from one location to another, and sometimes compress/rename the data to conserver space.
    (A pure sync pgm would duplicate w/o compress/rename and thus the files would be usable from both the Source and Target locations).
    Sync is not intended to protect the iPad Operating System as well.

3. UnWarierMage224

UnWarierMage224 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 84

@ jobeard:

Oh, OK - Thanks!

So if this Backup is only my personal data and not the iPad OS... Would you know how to go about making a backup of the OS? I'm waiting for the latest OS jailbreak to drop.

Thanks,

-'Mage

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.