TechSpot

iPad encrypted email

By marklantis
Aug 29, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I am using the very old JUNO 8.8.81 email client with dial-up service. Lately, I have NOT been able to download my email without being disconnected. I try again and get disconnected at the same percentage of download, be it 40%, 50%, 100% or whatever. I have someone sending email with their new IPad. I am wondering if the IPad email is SO encrypted that the slow dial-up can't download it correctly. I am no expert and I thought I might get some feedback here.

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,426   +317

I don't think so.
    Encryption will make it fat (ie larger) but failures would occur in the decrypt (right at the end of the download) OR in the viewing of the message.

Two approaches are possible:
    a) use a web based interface to Juno (ie your browser) http://webmaila.juno.com/cgi-bin/login.cgi
    b) install / use an email client (like Thunderbird) and configure it to access the Juno account​

For dial-up users, you anytime you create the link to your ISP, there is a TCP connection from your system to
    that ISP. Any new program that gets started (like an email client: Thunderbird) will see that connection and
    piggyback it to access the email or other destinations.

The Thunderbird setup instructions are here

and the parameters for Juno are here

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.