iPad owners anticipate iPad 3's arrival, set high expectations

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

A new survey suggests that nearly half of iPad owners are eager for another opportunity to throw $100 bills at Apple. Conducted by PriceGrabber, the poll shows that 42% of iPad owners intend to purchase Cupertino's latest slate.

Of that 42%, 39% plan to buy an iPad 3 by the end of 2012, 30% want to upgrade their device within a year, 20% said they'd pony up in the first month of the iPad 3's arrival, and 11% intend to upgrade during the launch week.

It's worth noting that we're not talking about a huge sample here. The survey included 1,829 US Web shoppers. Only 22% of the participants own a tablet and 52% of those folks have an iPad (again, 42% of that 52% want an iPad 3). 

If our math is right, that essentially breaks down to 88 people who plan to purchase an iPad 3 -- not as impressive as all the percentages would have you believe. Still, there's no doubting Apple's ability to sell gobs of gadgets.

Although Apple hasn't shared official details yet, respondents have high expectations. When asked what features were most important to them in considering an iPad 3 purchase, 54% of current tablet owners said they want a cheaper option -- a possibility as Apple positions itself against Amazon's Kindle Fire. Some 53% want a better battery, 49% desire an SD card slot, 44% hope for an improved camera with flash, 44% want a new A6 SoC, and 41% are looking for an HDMI port.

Permalink to story.

...of those, some 5% are selling their grunnies, and some 12% are boning their mother-in-law, just to get their hands on the new the shiny, out-of-the-box, wink-wank gudget one can't get eyes off...

Any Grand-Theft-iShit statistics out there?

"Some 53% want a better battery, 49% desire an SD card slot, 44% hope for an improved camera with flash, 44% want a new A6 SoC, and 41% are looking for an HDMI port."

Does this mean that this revolutionary, perfect, cool and magical device is not perfect as we are meant to believe.

License to print money, that's what Apple has done here. That and feed off those with a lack of any technical knowledge. Also I find it hilarious that over 40% of the "sheeple" who have the current ipad want more features that competing devices already have.

I've long given up trying to figure out why people spend $500-600 dollars on a tablet or why the same people are willing to drop $1,500-2,000 on an Apple laptop when a ton of them are poor students at Starbucks with shitty paying jobs. Instead I just follow the trends, consumer patterns (i.e., sheeple patterns) and slowly keep increasing my investment in Apple (soon > 100 shares).

Instead of fighting the emotional consumerist culture or implying how brand concious the majority of consumers are, I have embraced it and profit from it. 1-2 shares pay for my PC upgrades annually. I hope every day 100 new sheeple are born so I can retire off Apple in 30 years.

Back